[comp.databases] Number of UNIX files under INFORMIX

walid@netxcom.DHL.COM (Walid Elgamel) (08/29/90)

	We are working in an application that use INFORMIX standard engine
	under XENIX-386.

	Does anyone know...when I open a database/table, how many Unix
	file opens does that take up, per process?

	Thanks

-------
-----------
-------

Walid Elgamal
NetExpress, Inc.                	Phone: (703)749-2224
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300		uucp:  uunet!hadron!netex!walid
Vienna, VA   22182			fax:   (703)749-2375

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (08/30/90)

In article <7437@netxcom.DHL.COM> walid@netxcom.DHL.COM (Walid Elgamel) writes:
>We are working in an application that use INFORMIX standard engine
>under XENIX-386.
>
>Does anyone know...when I open a database/table, how many Unix
>file opens does that take up, per process?
>Walid Elgamal

Each table consists of two files (three on Create Locking ports; I
think all of the XENIX and UNIX 386 ports use sys5 locking):
the data file (.dat suffix) and the index file (.idx suffix).

When you have a database open, its systables catalog table is kept
open at all times.  Otherwise, it depends on what tables are in use.

The Turbo and OnLine engines just need one file for each physical
chunk, regardless of the number of tables used.

Hope this helps.

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Girl, we couldn't get much higher."  -  Joe Isuzu

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (09/08/90)

In article <7437@netxcom.DHL.COM> walid@netxcom.DHL.COM (Walid Elgamel) writes:
>	We are working in an application that use INFORMIX standard engine
>	under XENIX-386.
>	Does anyone know...when I open a database/table, how many Unix
>	file opens does that take up, per process?
>Walid Elgamal

For SE on XENIX, it's two files per table (.dat + .idx).  Also note
that the "systables" catalog table is open at all times that the
database itself is open.

Note that if you are using tranasaction logging, all table files used
in the transaction are kept open until the transaction is committed
or rolled back.  Therefore, the limit of tables used in a transaction
is (kernel open-files-per-process limit - 5) / 2 .

Hope this helps.

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Maturity comes from banging your head on sharp corners."
                           - B. Kliban, 1935-1990