[comp.databases] Database Design Question

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) (09/07/90)

I am interested in building a small portable relational data base in
C.  Initially it would be stricly single-user.  Does anyone know of
a good book on developing data bases.  I do not want db design books
relating to logical and schema designs but on actually developing a
working data base.  I am interested in what data structures would be
appropriate (depending on my criteria - such as speed, integraty, etc.)
for key files, and how best to implement field relations.  I'm also
wanting to know the best way to hook a SQL parser into the dbms for
queries, reports, etc. that are efficient, flexible, and so on.  Any
pointers would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,

Mark Pledger

CTI                              |              (703) 685-5434 [voice]
2121 Crystal Drive               |              (703) 685-7022 [fax]
Suite 103                        |
Arlington, DC  22202             |              mpledger@cti.com
             "To boldly go where no 'C' has gone before"

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/10/90)

In a recent article mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes:

>I am interested in building a small portable relational data base in
>C.  Initially it would be stricly single-user.  Does anyone know of
>a good book on developing data bases.  I do not want db design books
>relating to logical and schema designs but on actually developing a
>working data base.

A good one is "The Practical SQL Handbook" by Sandra L. Emerson,
Marcy Darnovsky and Judith S. Bowman. Published by Addison-Wesley.
ISBN 0-201-51738-8.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).