[comp.databases] Support for variable length text fields

delatizk@bbn.com (Jonathan Delatizky) (09/13/90)

A friend has asked me to find him a PC database (to run on an IBM AT-class
clone) that has true support for variable length text fields.  The data in
question can have text lengths (in the same field) ranging from about 30
characters to several hundred.

As a complete neophyte where PC-based databases are concerned, I'd appreciate
some advice.  Please email if possible as I don't regularly read this group.

Jonathan Delatizky  *     BBN Systems and     * Foolery, sir, does walk
delatizky@bbn.com   *    Technologies Corp    *  about the orb like the
{...}!bbn!delatizky *    70 Fawcett Street    *  sun; it shines every-
(617) 873-3366      *   Cambridge MA 02138    *  where. >Twelfth Night<

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (09/14/90)

In article <59463@bbn.BBN.COM> delatizk@bbn.com (Jonathan Delatizky) writes:
>A friend has asked me to find him a PC database (to run on an IBM AT-class
>clone) that has true support for variable length text fields.  The data in
>question can have text lengths (in the same field) ranging from about 30
>characters to several hundred.

Most dBase dialects offer only limited variable-length field support.  dBase's
memo fields allow for some free-form text, but it is stored less effeciently.

In contrast, Advanced Revelation v2.0, is completely variable-length fields.
I know of several companies using it for *very* big applications such as
bibliographic records, etc, where certain fields range from 2 characters to
2 pages.  It is all very fast, although a rather overwhealming environment
for even someone experienced in database applications.

Let me know if you would like more info - or look in recent PC Week or Mag for
a review.

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Lab Technician, School of Electrical Engineering
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jgb

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/14/90)

In article <13652@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>In article <59463@bbn.BBN.COM> delatizk@bbn.com (Jonathan Delatizky) writes:
>>A friend has asked me to find him a PC database (to run on an IBM AT-class
>>clone) that has true support for variable length text fields.  The data in
>>question can have text lengths (in the same field) ranging from about 30
>>characters to several hundred.

Bibliofile is a set of tools for processing bibliographic records.  It
is entirely variable length text fields.  Fields can be from 1 to
whatever memory you can grab.  In most implementations this is at least
4K per field.

Bibliofile runs under MSDOS, 4.3 BSD, SCO Xenix, etc.  The MSDOS
version needs the MKS Toolkit (or clones of vi and sort) for full
functionality.

Bibliofile is available at no charge.  For further information,
send e-mail to me.