[comp.databases] Oracle Initcap

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (09/13/90)

In Forms 3.0, the initcap will capitalize the first character of each
word properly but if I put my own cap in the middle of a word, initcap
forces it back to lower case.  In a 'name' field, if you type in 'McCoy',
it is converted to 'Mccoy'.  Is there a solution to this?

mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) (09/15/90)

In article <36@genco.uucp> rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) writes:
> In Forms 3.0, the initcap will capitalize the first character of each
> word properly but if I put my own cap in the middle of a word, initcap
> forces it back to lower case.  In a 'name' field, if you type in 'McCoy',
> it is converted to 'Mccoy'.  Is there a solution to this?

I'm not sure where you are using the INITCAP function, but you could
try something like:

     SELECT INITCAP(SUBSTR(name_col, 1, 1)) ||
            SUBSTR(name_col, 2, LENGTH(name_col) - 1)
     FROM   table_name

You could hard code the length of the column in the second part if you
want to speed things up a tad.

Michael Wang
mouser@portia.stanford.edu