[comp.databases] Oracle Support

Bron@cup.portal.com (George Bron Faison) (06/16/90)

Unfortunately, our experiences have been almost a mirror of yours,
except that years ago we gave up on their support and now just go it
alone.  Yeah, that means we have to buy full licences, no upgrades, and yeah,
that's a b*tch!  However, the alternative was to go crazy trying to deal
with them.  (And then there's the Version 6 is a new product not an upgrade
crap that made us look pretty wise, sigh!)

I know of one site, very prominent in the Oracle world, that has had
billing problems on support for 7 or more years!!!  They don't ever
expect them to end.

We have experienced every problem your letter cites at one time or another
and my conversations with others seem to indicate that it is pervasive.  It
is tolerated because they DO have a good product, however, I am starting to
hear a lot more talk from clients similar to yours, that is, along the
lines of "I've had enough of this sh*t!  I'm looking around!"

It's unfortunate, we've been using Oracle for over 6 years and as the
fella said "Oracle has been berry, berry good to me" in terms of our
revenues and successful development efforts on behalf of our clients.
I've had similar experiences with other companies, but Oracle's
premium prices and outlandish support fees, together with their
arrogance serve only to rub salt in the wound!

There are a lot of good people working at Oracle, the problem is they
are usually moved to internal positions where they're hard to get at
(every Oracle site I know of has their "list" of names to call when
there's a real emergency) and the tech reps you usually reach seem to
have somewhere between 6 days and 6 months of experience and often just
give out wrong advice (as you stated).

Another irritation, is that Oracle sells their "Consulting Services"
to assist you in doing things because their documentation and support
make it virtually impossible for a new site to get up and running without
help (if they have any non-trivial applications and are new to relational
systems, anyway) and some sites buy into it because it's
the only way to get people who half-way know what they're doing (again at
quite steep prices).  I don't usually complain about this though, because
it generates a great deal of business for me :-}.

Maybe users should burn their support agreements at the next IOUG?

Bron	( Bron@cup.portal.com )   ( Voice: 804-730-1467 )
Modern Office Systems Technology, Inc.
6006-B Mech. T'Pike, Mech. VA 23111

bossert@Thalatta.COM (John Bossert) (09/06/90)

A few days ago, our system manager posted a note complaining
about some problems installing Oracle's Application Foundation
product on our Sun network.

Well, there was a slight communication breakdown between our DBA
and system manager, in that Oracle technical support has been
working with our DBA to resolve the problem. This has extended
to our being given a direct line to an Oracle technical support person.

This is particularly generous of Oracle in that we are using a loaner
copy of their software which they provided us to help us support one
of our Oracle clients.

In summary, Oracle is doing a "above-board" job of supporting us, and
we're very appreciative.

--

In-Real-Life: John Bossert, Thalatta Corporation, (+1 206 455 9838)
Domain: bossert@Thalatta.COM   Path: ...!sun!sunup!thebes!bossert

carl@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Carl Pedersen) (09/16/90)

Followers of this group may recall that I started a spate of
"Oracle-bashing" a while ago with some comments about how bad
Oracle support was.  John Bossert's remarks prompt me to say that
things seem to be improving.

Recently, I have noticed that many of their technical people seem
to be trying harder, and seem to be able to come up with more
definitive answers.  They are currently in the middle of making some
significant changes in how they handle support.  I think it will
probably take them a few months to get through this period before
anyone knows whether it will really be a better system or not.

My main point is that they are clearly making a serious effort to
improve.

cooper@beno.CSS.GOV (Dale Cooper) (09/17/90)

In article <24267@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> carl@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Carl Pedersen) writes:
>Followers of this group may recall that I started a spate of
>"Oracle-bashing" a while ago with some comments about how bad
>Oracle support was.  John Bossert's remarks prompt me to say that
>things seem to be improving.
>
>Recently, I have noticed that many of their technical people seem
>to be trying harder, and seem to be able to come up with more
>definitive answers.  They are currently in the middle of making some
>significant changes in how they handle support.  I think it will
>probably take them a few months to get through this period before
>anyone knows whether it will really be a better system or not.
>
>My main point is that they are clearly making a serious effort to
>improve.

While I echo Carl's general feelings, I find still find it frustrating that
it took them this long to make a sincere effort to improve their image and
mode of customer relations.

Maybe it was all of the customer complaints...

Maybe it's a change in management in some departments...

Maybe they realized that instead of telling the world how great their
product is, they should spend more time and money backing up their claims...

Maybe it's the fact that Oracle stock is plummeting and in order to save
themselves they had better get their act together!

My opinion only...see you in Anaheim.

                           @@|                       |    ALWAYS right!