[comp.databases] Re.: Ingres acquisition by ASK computers

palat@motcid.UUCP (Mohan Palat) (09/20/90)

 >From: hallman@ingres.com (David Hallman)
 >Subject: Re: Ingres acquisition by ASK Computers
 >
 >No Way!
 >
 >The following quotes from Sandra Kurtzig emphasizes the ASK commitment.
 >
 >September 18, 1990
 >
 >"ASK offered to purchase Ingres because [ASK] believes strongly in the
 >business potential for [Ingres] products as a standalone business..."
 >
 >"[Ingres'] Customers and prospects should understand and believe that we
 >at ASK are committed to continuing to support them, once the acquisition
 >is completed, and that we intend to continue to build the Ingres business..."

	That's what they all say just after an acquisition, although that's
	not the way it always turns out in the end. Didn't Frank Lorenzo
	make similar assertions after acquiring Eastern - turns out he was
	more interested in transferring Eastern's assets to Texas Air. And
	didn't Ames Corp. make very reassuring statements when they acquired
	Zayre Corp. - well, they are all closed down now (at least out here).

	I can see the scenerio - ASK will try to impose their corporate
	culture on Ingres, many key developers will get frustrated and
	switch companies, Ingres will steadily lose the market share, and
	finally ASK will announce that "because of declining market share
	and continued losses, we have decided to merge Ingres with ASK."

	M. Palat