[comp.databases] Commercial OODBMS comparison

sutton@cadence.com (Angela Sutton) (09/21/90)

Does anyone know how the following object-oriented databases:
 ONTOS       (Ontologic)
 ObjectStore (Object Design Inc.)
 VERSANT     (Versant Object technology)
 Objectivity (Objectivity Inc.)
rate with respect to the following:

1) Performance and custom optimisation of performance
2) Portability across unix boxes (In particular SUN4, DecStation 3100 and 5000,
MIPS)
3) Heterogeneous networking support
4) Menus, forms and report-writing packages
5) Embedded SQL interfaces, data accessibility using C/C++

Thanks for your help
Angela Sutton

sutton@cadence.com
...!{hpda,versatc,apollo,ucbcad,uunet}!cadence!sutton

speyer@joy.cad.mcc.com (Bruce Speyer) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.175034.4517@cadence.com> sutton@cadence.com writes:

>Does anyone know how the following object-oriented databases:
> ONTOS       (Ontologic)
> ObjectStore (Object Design Inc.)
> VERSANT     (Versant Object technology)
> Objectivity (Objectivity Inc.)
>rate with respect to the following:
>
>1) Performance and custom optimisation of performance
>2) Portability across unix boxes (In particular SUN4, DecStation 3100 and 5000,
>MIPS)
>3) Heterogeneous networking support
>4) Menus, forms and report-writing packages
>5) Embedded SQL interfaces, data accessibility using C/C++
>
>Thanks for your help
>Angela Sutton
>
>sutton@cadence.com
>...!{hpda,versatc,apollo,ucbcad,uunet}!cadence!sutton

Angela,

This request has been posted on the net many a time and never answered.  There
is a reason for this.  Both the commercial OODBMS customers and the OODBMS
vendors are encumbered with non-disclosure agreements.  Its a chicken and egg
problem.  Your questions 2-5 can be answered to some degree by publicly
available information but question #1, performance, no way.

Personally, I am reluctant to answer questions 2-5 in a public forum in fear of
getting something wrong and being unfair.  Perhaps representatives of the
OODBMS vendors could answer these questions?

Obviously something is wrong; you should be able to easily obtain the
information you desire.  At the last DAC conference this issue came up at a
panel of vendors and customers.  Larry Rice of Valid said that his company had
evaluated the database systems you mention (plus a few more) and would be
willing to disclose their numbers if they could get all the OODBMS vendors to
approve.  I don't know if anything happenned since then.

However, it is not this simple.  The Valid benchmarks were customized for their
company and were not normalized for all databases.  They allowed the OODBMS
vendors to optimize in any way that a customer could reasonably do.  I doubt
that a customer commissioned benchmark could become an industry standard.

As far as I know, the only place I can go to and get a standard benchmark run
on my OODBMS (or relational) is to Rick Cattel of Sun.  He has a standard setup
of machines, networks, initialization procedures, etc.  Nothing against Rick
but it would be better if I could go to some standards organization or
independent testing lab.

This issue is on the table for CFI (Cad Framework Initiative).  I wouldn't be
surprised to find benchmarking and evaluations on OMG's (Object Management
Group) agenda either.  Any other organizations out there?  Without proper
benchmarking and evaluation the standardization efforts will be stifled.

The bottom line is that you have to go to each of the commercial OODBMS vendors
and talk with them.  I've talked to them all and they are very happy to work
hard with you.  Of course non-disclosure required. :-)

Bruce Speyer / MCC CAD Program                        WORK: [512] 338-3668
3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.,  Austin, TX. 78759       ARPA: speyer@mcc.com