[comp.databases] Ingres acquisition by ASK

mao@eden (Mike Olson) (09/22/90)

In <1124@beguine.UUCP>, robinson@durham.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson)
writes

> How about some fun :-)  A while back, in this group, Dr. Stonebraker made
> the statement that database servers will be so plentiful that they'll be
> a-dime-a-dozen.  I disagree, I think that *GOOD* db servers (i.e. rock-solid
> reliability with fast response time) will be so rare, that THEY'LL decide
> the marketplace.  (Actually, most users will compromise on the speed, if
> that's what's needed to get the rock-solidity.)

i'll bite.  you should probably discount my opinion, since i work for
dr. stonebraker.

i believe that the evolution of servers in the industry toward ansi SQL
and generally identical functionality among vendors reinforces stonebraker's
claim.  most commercial database systems *are* rock-solid, in terms of
commits succeeding and rollbacks really rolling back.  further, although
most vendors are going to spit blood at this statement, they're all pretty
much the same in terms of speed, if you normalize for the hardware they
run on.  in what sense is any commercial database system more solid than
any other?

so why do people choose one vendor over another?  because the front-end
tools are better.

i think the acquisition of ingres corp. by ask is significant.  ask builds
hot front-end tools for the ingres backend.  ingres was having financial
problems selling its database system because database systems aren't what
attract users.  ask, which ignores the database system in favor of selling
tools that use it, made heaps of cash.

companies like metaphor, who develop tools that run on lots of different
rdbms platforms, are in much better shape to survive than are companies
who sell a single, specialized product.  this is pretty straight darwinism
-- diversity is a good thing, and if you eat lots of things low on the
food chain, you can survive the extinction of any one of them.  rdbms vendors
are low on the food chain.

as commercial database systems continue to become indistinguishable from
one another, the only thing that users will care about is the tools they
can get.  those tools will, in general, run on all commercial database
systems.  this is an exact parallel of the open systems revolution happening
among hardware and os vendors these days.

					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					mao@postgres.berkeley.edu

robinson@durham.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (09/22/90)

My original question was:

In article <28051@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> mao@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Olson) writes:
>i'll bite.  you should probably discount my opinion, since i work for
>dr. stonebraker.
>
>i believe that the evolution of servers in the industry toward ansi SQL
>and generally identical functionality among vendors reinforces stonebraker's
>claim.  most commercial database systems *are* rock-solid, in terms of
>commits succeeding and rollbacks really rolling back.  ( some deleted text
>... )  in what sense is any commercial database system more solid than
>any other?

In the sense that other things don't happen.  An example from my experience
with INGRES 5.0 (not server technology, but still illustrative) is that a
btree structure could somehow get "a tiny bit corrupted" so that on a
SPARC RISC system which is sensitive to data alignment boundaries, the OS
would panic with a "memory alignment" error and crash the system.  The
problem could be fixed by finding the errant table and re-modifying it
(the re-modify would usually succeed although sometimes re-crash the
system) although we never found or received a remedy (in favor of V.6.3).
No data was lost, but time and energy certainly were.  Its these little
*extras* that the users don't like, and that *all* db servers (from reading
this list) have in some measure or another.  So 'rock-solidity' includes
(the absence of) these.

>so why do people choose one vendor over another?  because the front-end
>tools are better.

Indeed.  This was a large part of our decision to stick with INGRES four
years ago, when a new director (and thus new and expanded development push)
arrived.

>i think the acquisition of ingres corp. by ask is significant.  ask builds
>hot front-end tools for the ingres backend.  ingres was having financial
>problems selling its database system because database systems aren't what
>attract users.  ask, which ignores the database system in favor of selling
>tools that use it, made heaps of cash.
>
> (deleted paragraph)
>
>as commercial database systems continue to become indistinguishable from
>one another, the only thing that users will care about is the tools they
>can get.  those tools will, in general, run on all commercial database
>systems.  this is an exact parallel of the open systems revolution happening
>among hardware and os vendors these days.

I don't disagree.  In fact, this is almost my starting point.  OSs are even
lower on the food chain than rdbms systems and two is still one too many for
most open system proponents.  When does INGRES, for example, start producing
tools for Oracle and Sybase servers?  Then, when do they make the decision to
stop, for financial reasons, the development work on their own server, in
favor of other ones (if at all, its likely that their server could become
fairly ubiquitous)?

Gerard Robinson, UNC-CH School of Medicine, Office of Information Systems