[comp.databases] Ingres acquisition by ASK Computers

hargrove@bee.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) (09/15/90)

I'm a bit surprised to see several days without a peep in this
group about the recent, rather surprising, acquisition of Ingres
by ASK Computers.  What do you folks think about this?  In hindsight,
there were several clues that this was impending, but it certainly
caught us by surprise -- and we're a long time ASK customer.  Is
this the beginning of the end of Ingres as a major database player?

drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) (09/18/90)

Who is ASK?

--

  DISCLAIMER?  I don't know anything 'bout any ol' disclaimer!

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| David Rackley		        |                                             |
| Applied Research Laboratories |        Remember, you can tuna fish,         |
| The University of Texas       |         But you can't tuna piano!           |
| Austin, TX.  78758            |                                             |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

hargrove@bee.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) (09/18/90)

In article <DRACK.90Sep17143438@hyperion.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
|> Who is ASK?

ASK Computers is a software house that sells manufacturing and financial
software application packages.  They're most well know for their MANMAN suite of
applications.  About two years ago, they purchased another company
(NCA) that sold a competing MRP II product (called MAXCIM).  They currently sell
and support both of these application suites.  As I recall they're about a
$200M company.

Mark Hargrove           | Silicon Graphics, Inc. | This sentence contains
email: hargrove@sgi.com | 2011 N.Shoreline Drive | exactly threee erors.
voice: 415-962-3642     | Mt.View, CA 94039      |

chesky@portia.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) (09/18/90)

In article <DRACK.90Sep17143438@hyperion.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
>Who is ASK?
>
>| David Rackley		        |                                             |

ASK is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) software vendor for
manufacturing applications. ASK originally stood for Ari and Sandra
Kurtzig (ever since their divorce it now stands for Assocition of Sandra
Kurtzig who is one of the founders and still the top person there.
ASK has been in the process of moving its application from FORTRAN to
INGRES.

The purchase was funded by a stock purchase by HP and EDS. The purchase
is interesting in that it is the second RDBMS vendor to be acquired in
recent times (previously Sharebase was acquired by Teradata).

I wonder if this is a trend in the marketplace. If it is I guess the
next target would be Oracle whose stock has from about $28 to under $7
right now.

I wonder what would be the implications of these movements on the RDBMS
industry.

Sanjay

hallman@ingres.com (David Hallman) (09/19/90)

In article <HARGROVE.90Sep15011123@bee.corp.sgi.com>
hargrove@bee.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) writes:

>I'm a bit surprised to see several days without a peep in this
>group about the recent, rather surprising, acquisition of Ingres
>by ASK Computers.  What do you folks think about this?  In hindsight,
>there were several clues that this was impending, but it certainly
>caught us by surprise -- and we're a long time ASK customer.  Is
>this the beginning of the end of Ingres as a major database player?

No Way!

The following quotes from Sandra Kurtzig emphasizes the ASK commitment.

September 18, 1990

"ASK offered to purchase Ingres because [ASK] believes strongly in the
business potential for [Ingres] products as a standalone business..."

"[Ingres'] Customers and prospects should understand and believe that we
at ASK are committed to continuing to support them, once the acquisition
is completed, and that we intend to continue to build the Ingres business..."

--

                         Ingres Corporation | Dave Hallman (hallman@ingres.com)
                                            | Strategic/OEM Support (SOS)

speyer@joy.cad.mcc.com (Bruce Speyer) (09/19/90)

see Computer System News 9/17/90 headline article "EDS Buys Technology Stake"
for indepth coverage of EDS's and HP's funding of ASK's buyout of Ingres.

Bruce Speyer / MCC CAD Program                        WORK: [512] 338-3668
3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.,  Austin, TX. 78759       ARPA: speyer@mcc.com

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/23/90)

> In article <HARGROVE.90Sep15011123@bee.corp.sgi.com>
> hargrove@bee.corp.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) writes:
>
>I'm a bit surprised to see several days without a peep in this
>group about the recent, rather surprising, acquisition of Ingres
>by ASK Computers.....
>Is this the beginning of the end of Ingres as a major database player?

 Based on our experiences with INGRES 6 - and the response/support INGRES has
 been giving us this past year - we would have to say that the company demoted
 itself to the minors some time ago.... (no smiley face here).

 Speaking of which:  has anyone out tried the INGRES-based db software bundled
 in with ULTRIX 4.0, on DEC's RISC-based systems yet ?  Is it any more reliable
 (let me rephrase that: is it reliable, period) as compared to INGRES release
 6.2 on that platform ?  We can't get a crash-free version out of INGRES itself.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny