[comp.databases] Integrated relational and full text database

yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) (09/19/90)

I want to see an RDBMS that has
   * full text search capability
   * fuzzy word matching
with SQL extensions to cover the added functionality.

An integration of full text search capabilities
with the familiar SQL querying capabilities would
enable some great applications.

Does anyone know of a database product that has these
features or is going in these directions?

 --dave yost
   yost@dpw.com or uunet!esquire!yost
   Please don't use other mangled forms you may see
   in the From, Reply-To, or CC fields above.

tprife@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Mike Rife (Boeing)) (09/21/90)

In article <2675@esquire.dpw.com>, yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) writes...
>I want to see an RDBMS that has
>   * full text search capability
>   * fuzzy word matching
>with SQL extensions to cover the added functionality.
>
>An integration of full text search capabilities
>with the familiar SQL querying capabilities would
>enable some great applications.
>
>Does anyone know of a database product that has these
>features or is going in these directions?
>
> --dave yost

Dave,
  At last year's International Oracle User's Week in Dallas, Oracle had a
presentation on one of their products called SQL*Textretrieval.  I know a very
little about it.  You can place documents into oracle tables and do special
text retrievals and word matching on the documents.  Since the documents are
in Oracle tables, you can use SQL on the text also.  Contact Oracle and I'm
sure they would give you all the information you need.

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (09/25/90)

In comp.databases you write:

>I want to see an RDBMS that has
>   * full text search capability
>   * fuzzy word matching
>with SQL extensions to cover the added functionality.

Here, here!! If you find any let me know!

Maybe we should start a campaign to convince the major DB vendors that there
is a market for this. It shoul not be difficult to add to an existing system.

There is a new entrant in the full text DB market. Head software in UK.
(Short review in international section of August Byte) They used to market
utilities to work with INMAGIC, now it seems that they are going in to
competition. Not difficult, INMAGIC is a dog.

Cheers, Russell.

--

jpk@ingres.com (Jon Krueger) (09/26/90)

tprife@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Mike Rife (Boeing)) writes:
>At last year's International Oracle User's Week in Dallas, Oracle had a
>presentation on one of their products called SQL*Textretrieval.

Is it still the case that Oracle accomplishes this through custom
front end tools, not in the engine?

If so, I know of no products that meet David's requirements.
Nor do I expect any in the near future; "full text" is a fairly
complex data type.

If not, could Mike or somebody provide some sample queries?  E.g.
SQL to insert a document, perform a full text search for it?

-- Jon

Does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Ingres Corp.
--

Jon Krueger, jpk@ingres.com