[comp.databases] University INGRES

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (07/24/88)

A while back there was a discussion on the availability of sources for the
University version of INGRES.  Was there a resolution?  Could someone mail
me the facts on this matter?

Thank You
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T

av@utacs.UTA.FI (Arto V. Viitanen) (10/05/89)

Hello.

As an assistant of Database Management -course in the University of Tampere,
Department of Computer Science, I installed Ingres89 to our SUN3. It workes
ok, when I use it as one user's version, but when I install lockserver to
support several users, no one can use Ingres!!

Here follows to demo drives, on with ingres and one with helpr

% ingres ftparc

INGRES SYSERR: lock read fail
UNIX error: Bad file number
IOT trap (core dumped)

% helpr ftparc machine

SYSERR: lock read fail
UNIX error: No such file or directory
IOT trap (core dumped)

It seems like there is something wrong with lockservers sockets (what ever
that means :-) )

fbraab@leuze.UUCP (Fritz B. Raab) (10/06/89)

av@utacs.UTA.FI (Arto V. Viitanen) writes:

>Hello.

>As an assistant of Database Management -course in the University of Tampere,
>Department of Computer Science, I installed Ingres89 to our SUN3. It workes
>ok, when I use it as one user's version, but when I install lockserver to
>support several users, no one can use Ingres!!
some stuff deleted

>SYSERR: lock read fail
>UNIX error: No such file or directory
>IOT trap (core dumped)

>It seems like there is something wrong with lockservers sockets (what ever
>that means :-) )
We have exact the same problem !
Could anyone help us ?

 (-:   snail-mail:                                                          :-)
 (-:   Fritz B. Raab                     email: fbraab@leuze.UUCP           :-)
 (-:   Leuze electronic, Abt. TDV               ..uunet!unido!leuze!fbraab  :-)
 (-:   In der Braike 1                   soon:  fbraab@leuze-owen.de        :-)
 (-:   D7311 Owen / Teck                 voice: +49 7021 573185 fax: 573200 :-)
 (-:   West - Germany                    ampr-net: df2rf@db0sao             :-)
 ==============   Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi!   ==========================

ananth@pyrite.uucp (Ananth Srinivasan) (01/11/90)

A number of posters have mentioned bugs/problems with University
Ingres. Is there a read-me file (or any other documentation) that
goes with it that one may refer to? It might just be an installation
problem or a matter of setting a few switches initially. Any info will be
appreciated.

misterx@atlantis.cis.ufl.edu (Les Hill) (09/27/90)

We are trying to get University INGRES running on a gaggle of Sun 3s and
4s.  The problem we have had involves using the EQUEL option to INGRES.
Has anyone experienced/solved this problem?  We got University INGRES
from postgres.berkeley.edu (is this the most recent version?)

Any help would be appreciated,

Les