[comp.databases] Datafit anyone ??

aviv@techunix.BITNET (Aviv Siegel) (09/25/90)

Hello there !

        Folowing is a Database query - so if you're not in the field ..

        The company I work for, is looking for a 4GL database tool for
BIG development process (about 40,000+ records, 16M estimated data).
We look for a tool which will work on DOS, Unix and maybe OS/2 platforms.
The RUN time module mustn't cost much (it should be installed by a lot
of customers ...), this reason blew out Oracle, for example.
We wish for a multi-lingual support (hebrew/english), and an easy exit to
assembly or C routines.
        Currently, we are in the process of examinig Datafit product
called DP4. Does anyone know ? Any opinions ??

        Thanks for your time,
                                                Aviv.

--
=== .--. ========== o =====================================================
   /    \  |      | | |      |              aviv@techunix.BITNET

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/28/90)

In article <aviv.654215258@techunix.technion.ac.il>, aviv@techunix.BITNET (Aviv Siegel) writes:

>         The company I work for, is looking for a 4GL database tool for
> BIG development process (about 40,000+ records, 16M estimated data).
> We look for a tool which will work on DOS, Unix and maybe OS/2 platforms.
> The RUN time module mustn't cost much (it should be installed by a lot
> of customers ...), this reason blew out Oracle, for example.
> We wish for a multi-lingual support (hebrew/english), and an easy exit to
> assembly or C routines.

  Given the size of your application,  I think that most of the DBMS's designed
  for multi-user platforms should be able to handle things.

  If your criterion that the run-time module has to be inexpensive is an impor-
  tant one, you may want to look at INGRES since DEC now bundles run-time INGRES
  with ULTRIX.  Assuming (since you mention DOS) that many of the platforms on
  which your application will run will not have to be large,  the lower-end DEC
  RISC-based machines would probably handle things reasonably well.  The DEC
  2100, for instance, has performance that should at worst equal a 33 MHZ 80386-
  based system and will be cost-competitive with it.

  Two caveats:

   1. DEC does NOT call its bundled runtime engine "INGRES".  Whether compati-
      bility will be maintained in the future is unknown;
   2. our own experience with version 6 INGRES on ULTRIX platforms indicates
      that it is still in raw form.  E.g., barely passable as a "production"
      system.

  If you do need to run on `386 platforms, you may also want to take a look at
  SCO's Open Desktop product.  This consists of a bundle of software, including
  UNIX 5 and INGRES.  I believe that the runtime version of this is reasoanable
  - considering what is included - tho it may have much more than you need.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny