[comp.databases] RDBMS aimed at document handling?

nkini@uswat.uswest.com (Natraj Kini) (09/27/90)

Does anyone know of an RDBMS that has been proven to be effective for document
storage/retrieval applications? Or one that intends near-future enhancements
focussed on document handling?

Are there any references that you could point me to that deal with this topic.
(Ideally some journal issue that highlights the topic or an article describing
the state of the industry)

Any pointers appreciated.

--
      nkini@uswat.uswest.com       (H) 303 399 5419       (O) 303 595 2827
     Standard Disclaimer: ANSI was never mine, and I dumped IEEE last year.

ethan@thinc.UUCP (pri=-5*Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/28/90)

In article <11433@uswat.UUCP>, nkini@uswat.uswest.com (Natraj Kini) writes:

> Does anyone know of an RDBMS that has been proven to be effective for document
> storage/retrieval applications? Or one that intends near-future enhancements
> focussed on document handling?

	Greetings -

		By "document" I am assuming( I know, I know ) your are
		*NOT* talking about text/character based items.

		With that in mind you must be eluding to Binary Objects.
		If this is the case (*IF*) then look at Informix.
		They have a *Good* white paper
		"MultiMedia: The Next Wave in Database Management".
		This paper talks about BLOBS ( Binary Large Objects )
		" a New kind of data", who to store them, how to handel
		them.... blah, blah, blah..

		If you can't get a copy, call me.

			Bye,
				Ethan

--
                 "Life's an adventure.. go for it."

Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814