[comp.databases] Informix Reporting ...

segel@balr.com (Michael Segel) (09/25/90)

Well, this may seem like a strange problem, but I think
that it may occur to other informix users, so maybe someone has a

segel@balr.com (Michael Segel) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.220517.6188@balr.com> segel@balr.com (Michael Segel) writes:

>Well, this may seem like a strange problem, but I think
>that it may occur to other informix users, so maybe someone has a

Sorry 'bout that. What I wanted to ask was a work around
to doing reports in 4GL with indeterminate page lengths.
In 4GL, you must specify the page length for the printer,
so Informix can do all the neat header/trailer and page handling.
However for my application I did not know the page size and lenght
(Can vary for each font, and I don't want to recompile my report
 and program each time.)

My application was a simple PTS routine which would allow for
varible length fields for Problem and Solution comments in
the report. And I wanted the reports to line up correctly
no matter what font I was using.

So I printed the report to a file, and after I was done, I
printed the file to the printer. To get a new page, I printed a
file with only a "^L" in it. (Informix will not allow for control
characters to be printed).

The only problem with this, is that Informix will automatically
assume a page length (66 I think) and will force lines when it
thinks it is at the end of a page.
	My solution to this was to set the PAGE LENGTH to some large
number like 9000, and to change the ESQL/C code generated to NOT
add blank lines. The change was to stop Informix from trying to
print 8000 or so Blank lines :-) This worked, however I seem
to remember a simpler solution.
	Does anyone else have a simpler cure than fixing the
ESQL/C code?

lugnut@sequent.UUCP (Don Bolton) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.220517.6188@balr.com> segel@balr.com (Michael Segel) writes:

>Well, this may seem like a strange problem, but I think
>that it may occur to other informix users, so maybe someone has a

looks like maychance you have a teensy problem with pnews too

markj@informix.com (Mark Jeske(Chicago Consultan)t) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep25.190213.1176@balr.com> segel@balr.UUCP (Michael Segel) writes:

>Sorry 'bout that. What I wanted to ask was a work around
>to doing reports in 4GL with indeterminate page lengths.
>In 4GL, you must specify the page length for the printer,
>so Informix can do all the neat header/trailer and page handling.
>However for my application I did not know the page size and lenght
>(Can vary for each font, and I don't want to recompile my report
> and program each time.)
>

>So I printed the report to a file, and after I was done, I
>printed the file to the printer. To get a new page, I printed a
>file with only a "^L" in it. (Informix will not allow for control
>characters to be printed).

Yes, it does.  You can use the ascii statment to print control
characters.

>The only problem with this, is that Informix will automatically
>assume a page length (66 I think) and will force lines when it
>thinks it is at the end of a page.
>	My solution to this was to set the PAGE LENGTH to some large
>number like 9000, and to change the ESQL/C code generated to NOT
>add blank lines. The change was to stop Informix from trying to
>print 8000 or so Blank lines :-) This worked, however I seem
>to remember a simpler solution.

You might want to try page length 1.

Mark jeske (Informix consulting)
markj@infmx.com