[comp.databases] Second opinion on LAN setup

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (09/28/90)

Hi netters,

I am configuring a LAN for 200 Users.  I plan to install 1 F/S, a 386/33
running Netware 3.1.  The applications used would be the standard OA
packages, such as WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, cc. Mail or DaVinci, and a
DBMS.

My questions:

1. Whose 386/33 would you recommend.  Currently I looking at AST, ALR,
   and HP.  Compac and IBM are too costly and don't offer any advantages.

2. I plan to install 12 Meg of RAM.  Should be enough, right?

3. For the DBMS, I plan to install a networkable one.  Would a separate
   server required or recommended?  Or, can I run it in the F/S.  I am
   looking extensively on SQL Server, Oracle, and other SQL DBMSs.
   Please state the reasons to your answer, because this area can make
   or break me.

4. What do you think about the two email packages listed above.  Can you
   give me the pro and con on each.  And, which one would you choose and
   why.

Relevant facts:

The LAN is a campus network, connecting 7 buildings.  There are trenches
between the buildings.  I plan to use fibers (backbone) and UTP (workstation
termination).  I am bent toward 10-Base-T.  There are no existing wiring.

Important:  I need quick responses via email.  You don't have to have
	    all the answers before replying.  Several correspondences are
	    okay.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/29/90)

In article <27337@bellcore.bellcore.com>, louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes:
> Hi netters,

[ stuff deleted]

> 3. For the DBMS, I plan to install a networkable one.  Would a separate
>    server required or recommended?  Or, can I run it in the F/S.  I am
>    looking extensively on SQL Server, Oracle, and other SQL DBMSs.
>    Please state the reasons to your answer, because this area can make
>    or break me.

[ stuff deleted ]

	Greetings-

		PROGRESS(tm) is an excellent 4GL/RDBMS that works in this
		environment (and *MANY* others). Listed below are some of
		the PROGRESS(tm) features.  For more information call me.

		A *Quick* list of Features:

	o	Database indepentent 4GL layers on top of;
		PROGRESS(tm), Oracle(tm) and Rdb/Rms(tm) Databases
	o	Enhanced data dictionary simplifies management of
		PROGRESS(tm) and alternative data structures.
	o	Support for X-based window managers;
		MOTIF(tm), OpenLook(tm), Presentation Manager(tm)
	o	Embedded ANSI-standard SQL with Host Language Interface
	o	PROGRESS(tm) and SQL can be intermixed
	o	C routines callable from 4GL
	o	Library of plug-in components and routines
	o	Extended alphabet support for multi-lingual applications
	o	DIF,SYLK,ASCII file import/export
	o	Client/Server architecture and high performance
		multi-threaded database engine
	o	Distributed processing with two-phase commit
	o	Concurrent access to data in multiple databases
	o	On-Line backup and tuning controls for System Administrators
	o	Run across hardware, Operating Systems, Network Protocols,
		Databases, and Graphical User Interfaces.
	o	Encrypted Source Code for easy application deployment
	o	Automatic Crash Recovery
	o	Security Controls
	o	Distributed Processing
	o	Variable Length Records

**** For more information on these or other PROGRESS(tm) Features ***

	You may call/write/email you questions to the address below.

**** Let me show you how PROGRESS(tm) can solve your application issues ***

	Thank you,
		Ethan

--
                 "Life's an adventure.. go for it."

Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814