[comp.databases] DOS Data Base Manager

raulin@csusac.csus.edu (Raulin Olivera) (09/23/90)

I am working on some consulting and need a good DOS database manager.
I started with Butt-Faced Dbase IV but have been very disappointed
with its immature programming language.  What I would like to find is
a product that will allow me to compile my applications so they can
run independent of the data base engine or runtime or whatever you call
it.  I would also like this product to use a real programming language
like "C" that has real math functions etc. instead of some proprietary
"USER FRIENDLY" language that doesn't follow normal programming conventions.
Anyone out there have any recommendations?  I would consider Foxpro or
Clipper if they meet the compilable requirement.  I can live with a
proprietary language if it is robust and conventional.

b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (09/29/90)

RE: DOS Data Base Managers

Hi- I'm a Clipper programmer and have been for the past two years.  I've found
very little problems with Clipper (I too started with dBASE III) and would
highly recommend it to just about anyone doing dBASE now.  It compiles, with no
royalty garbage, and runs quite quickly.  It can hook up with C (the best to
use is Microsoft C 5.1+, I think) and has an excellent facility for creating
user-defined functions to give you quite a lot of power.  dBASE code wouldn't
be too hard to port over, but after using Clipper for a while you'll realize
that code written in dBASE should stay there; for optimal performance, you'll
want to write in Clipper & forget about the dBASE way.

BTW- the current version of Clipper (Summer '87) is about to be replaced by
Clipper 5.0 - my upgrade is pending.  This will be a MAJOR overhaul in the way
Clipper functions.  If you have time, I would recommend waiting a week or two
(if you decide to go with Clipper) to get the new package.  It should be
impressive.  If you have questions, feel free to post or email me.

				- Dave (b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)
				  Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

cook@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (James Cook) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep22.211157.3320@csusac.csus.edu> raulin@csusac.csus.edu (Raulin Olivera) writes:

>I am working on some consulting and need a good DOS database manager.
>I started with Butt-Faced Dbase IV but have been very disappointed
>with its immature programming language.  What I would like to find is
>a product that will allow me to compile my applications so they can
>run independent of the data base engine or runtime or whatever you call
>it.  I would also like this product to use a real programming language
>like "C" that has real math functions etc. instead of some proprietary
>"USER FRIENDLY" language that doesn't follow normal programming conventions.
>Anyone out there have any recommendations?  I would consider Foxpro or
>Clipper if they meet the compilable requirement.  I can live with a
>proprietary language if it is robust and conventional.

I would suggest you look into CLARION.  The product has an excellent and
robust programming language, an application generator, the ability to
create .EXE files without a db engine, the ability to distribute the
applications without paying royalties/runtime charges, and an all around
excellent product.

If you are creating applications for sale using dOther standard type
applications, I would suggest that you look into Clarion.  It is heads
and shoulders above the rest.

The down side is that it does not have an easy to use user free form
query interface, costs $895 (but under $500 mail order), and the
company's service/support sucks!   But the product is excellent!!!!

I still think they send out free demo's.  Give them a call.  Don't know
their number, but they are located in Pompano Beach Florida and the
company name is Clarion Software.

Jim Cook