[net.unix-wizards] VAX clustering and U{n,ltr}ix

bruce@godot.UUCP (Bruce Nemnich) (03/02/85)

In case anyone is interested, I spoke to DEC about support under Ultrix
for disks on the HSC50 and was told that no support of any kind would be
available until summer of '86, and that support would NOT include
sharing between CPUs.  I hope no one is holding his breath over it.

I have a CI bus, an SC008, and HSC50, sitting down in the machine room,
and I would like to use them for something more than counter space.  It
also appears DEC no longer sells the documentation necessary for writing
drivers for these things.

Does anyone have (or is anyone working) on a 4.2 driver for this kind of
configuration?  I wouldn't mind working on it, but I would need the doc.
I am not so concerned about sharing disks yet (I will be), but I presume
I could get much better bandwidth through the CI bus than with a UDA50
on the Unibus.
--
--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  ihnp4!godot!bruce, bjn@mit-mc.arpa ... soon to be bruce@tm.arpa

> It [...] appears DEC no longer sells the documentation necessary for
> writing drivers for these things [CI/SC008/HSC50].

If this is true (the "appears" alleviates the scare somewhat), then I
think DEC is making a Big Mistake.  I like DEC equipment partly because
I have these little manuals I can flip through.  It's hard to have too
much documentation [though VMS perhaps succeeds here :-)].  The best
argument I can give for my opinion is "if we don't know enough about it,
we aren't going to buy it".

Are you listening, DEC?
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) (03/07/85)

> > It [...] appears DEC no longer sells the documentation necessary for
> > writing drivers for these things [CI/SC008/HSC50].
>
> If this is true (the "appears" alleviates the scare somewhat), then I
> think DEC is making a Big Mistake.  I like DEC equipment partly because
> I have these little manuals I can flip through.  It's hard to have too
> much documentation [though VMS perhaps succeeds here :-)].  The best
> argument I can give for my opinion is "if we don't know enough about it,
> we aren't going to buy it".
>
> Are you listening, DEC?

Another "unavailable" manual is the UDA50 Programmer's Kit -- makes it
impossible to interpret the MSCP packet dumps that the 4.2 UDA driver
is fond of spitting out on the console.  Our field service rep has agreed
to accidently leave one at our site.
--
--peter gross
UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag

haral@ttidcb.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (03/11/85)

In article <1388@hao.UUCP> pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) writes:
>Another "unavailable" manual is the UDA50 Programmer's Kit -- makes it
>impossible to interpret the MSCP packet dumps that the 4.2 UDA driver
>is fond of spitting out on the console.  Our field service rep has agreed
>to accidently leave one at our site.

You didn't have to do that.  I called my DEC salesman and he delivered the
manuals personally to me within one week.  What you have to do is make a
case on why you really need it...

eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) (03/12/85)

> > > It [...] appears DEC no longer sells the documentation necessary for
> > > writing drivers for these things [CI/SC008/HSC50].
> >
> > If this is true (the "appears" alleviates the scare somewhat), then I
> > think DEC is making a Big Mistake.  I like DEC equipment partly because
> > I have these little manuals I can flip through.  It's hard to have too
> > much documentation [though VMS perhaps succeeds here :-)].  The best
> > argument I can give for my opinion is "if we don't know enough about it,
> > we aren't going to buy it".
> >
> > Are you listening, DEC?
>
> Another "unavailable" manual is the UDA50 Programmer's Kit -- makes it
> impossible to interpret the MSCP packet dumps that the 4.2 UDA driver
> is fond of spitting out on the console.  Our field service rep has agreed
> to accidently leave one at our site.
> --
> --peter gross
> UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag
> CSNET:	pag@ncar.csnet
> ARPA:	pag%ncar@csnet-relay.arpa

These folks are right.  I just spent a bunch of customer's money on my time
because:

	1) The ULTRIX-11 driver protoype code was wrong
	2) DEC said "So pay $270/month software maintenance for a $10K Machine"
	3) The damn rq controller doesn't pass bus grant through, and has to
	   be the last board on the q-bus.
	4) DEC OEM said "Oh Gee, we don't know anything about that. If you
	   find out let us know, okay?"

They are a university site, and if they had been aware of a 2.9 driver for
the MSCP disks on the MIcro-11, they would have switched right then and there.

So, if anyone knows of such a driver, would they send me a pointer please?
Thanks!

Cheers,
eric

--