[comp.databases] Unify ACCELL with INFORMIX database

snorri@strengur.is (Snorri Bergmann) (10/10/90)

Unify have been announcing recently that they have unbundled ACCELL from
the Unify database engine to work with any major databases, Informix included.

Has anyone out there used ACCELL with the Informix database engine
(SE, OnLine)?
Does it work?
What platforms does it run on?
Would it be difficault to port an application  written in ACCELL with
the Unify 2000 datatabase to work with an Informix database?
Has anyone actually done this?

Please e-mail, and I will summerize on the net if there is enugh interest.
Thanx in advance,
--
Snorri Bergmann                    | Internet: snorri@strengur.is
Strengur Consulting Engineers      | Phone:    +354 1 685130

dgh@Unify.Com (David Harrington) (10/11/90)

In article <738@strengur.is> snorri@strengur.is (Snorri Bergmann) writes:
>Unify have been announcing recently that they have unbundled ACCELL from
>the Unify database engine to work with any major databases, Informix included.
>
>Has anyone out there used ACCELL with the Informix database engine
>(SE, OnLine)?

ACCELL/SQL runs on the Informix SQL product only.

>Does it work?

Our QA department has certified that it does :-)

>What platforms does it run on?

386 Xenix now, others later.

>Would it be difficault to port an application  written in ACCELL with
>the Unify 2000 datatabase to work with an Informix database?

There are some differences, such as the DIS, which doesn't exist on Informix,
and a few locking model differences, but for the most part it is pretty
straightforward.

We have a manual titled "Writing Portable Applications" which goes into great
detail on this subject.

>Has anyone actually done this?

Good question.

--
David Harrington                                 internet: dgh@eire.unify.COM
Unify Corporation                         ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!eire!dgh