[comp.databases] Meta Level or Reflective DBMS Architectures

rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Rasthiyaadu Yakaa) (10/13/90)

In programming languages, there are (and have been) several
efforts towards meta-level or reflective languages ..

I am interested in knowing if there are similar efforts in
the database area in developing meta-level or reflective
DBMS architectures. In particular, I would like to find
a fairly good definition of what constitutes a meta-level
or reflective architecture (if there is one !) and in
compiling a list of projects or efforts that are working
on such architectures. I would like to hear from those
working on such architectures (papers, reports, references
would be welcome).

I would also like to hear comments from those knowledgeable
in the area regarding the capability of such an approach
to "make a system fit the application" rather than "make
an application fit the system" (a claim i have seen in
reflective prog. lang.). This, in my opinion, represents
an interesting approach to extensible systems, rather than
individual extensible query optimizers, or extensible
abstract data types, etc

And, one final question, I would like to know if there
is a particular theory (math) that governs such systems.

E-mail would be appreciated and i will post a summary
if there are enough responses.

yaseen
(rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu OR rmy@trout.cis.ufl.edu)

.sig OOPS this got censored

I am interested in compiling a list of DBMS architectures
that fall

sjbr@ut-emx.uucp (Sjaak Brinkkemper) (10/16/90)

In article <24869@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rmy@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>In programming languages, there are (and have been) several
>efforts towards meta-level or reflective languages ..
>
>I am interested in knowing if there are similar efforts in
>the database area in developing meta-level or reflective
>DBMS architectures. In particular, I would like to find
>a fairly good definition of what constitutes a meta-level
>or reflective architecture (if there is one !) and in
>compiling a list of projects or efforts that are working
>on such architectures. I would like to hear from those
>working on such architectures (papers, reports, references
>would be welcome).

In the SOCRATES project at the Software Engineering Research Centre,
Utrecht, the Netherlands, a reflective language is currently
being designed and implemented. This language is called MRL
(Method Representation Language) and is aimed to describe
structured analysis and design processes and its products
for customised CASE-tool generation.
The MRL desciptions are input to a so-called CASE-tool shell and
a CASE-tool is generated. This language can be described in itself and,
moreover, the its use can be described (static and dynamic
reflectivity). Thus, although not specificly designed for DBMS, this
language meets the reflectivity requirement.

>I would also like to hear comments from those knowledgeable
>in the area regarding the capability of such an approach
>to "make a system fit the application" rather than "make
>an application fit the system" (a claim i have seen in
>reflective prog. lang.). This, (...).

This language is used to describe the strategy of experienced analists.
It is capable of detailed task description and the additional concepts
that experts usually have. The generated CASE-tool has an agenda mechanism
that monitors and suggests tasks in the analysis process. The concepts and
their rules are then been incorporated in customised analysis techniques.
This tool fits therefore the approach of the analist. This in contrast to
contemporary CASE-tools to which the analists have to adapt themselves.

Selected References of the SOCRATES-project

1. Hofstede, A.H.M. ter, T.F. Verhoef, G.M. Wijers and S. Brinkkemper, The
SOCRATES-project. In S. Brinkkemper and G.M. Wijers (Eds.), Proceedings of
the Workshop on the Next Generation of CASE-tools, Noordwijkerhout, The
Netherlands, April 1990.

2. Wijers, G.M. and H. Heijes, Automated Support of the Modelling Process: a
view based on experiments with expert information engineers. In: B.
Steinholtz, A. Solvberg and L. Bergman (Eds.), Advanced Information Systems
Engineering, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 436, Springer Verlag, Berlin,
Germany, pp.88-108, May 1990.

3. Wijers, G.M., A.H.M. ter Hofstede and S. Brinkkemper, Flexible Guidance of
the Design Process, SERC report, September 1990 (Submitted for publication).

These publications can be obtained from:
Arthur ter Hofstede
SERC
P.O.Box 424
3500 AK Utrecht
The Netherlands
tel. +31.30.322640
email: hofstede@serc.nl
--
Sjaak Brinkkemper                Organizational Computing Lab
MSIS, CBA 5.202                  University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA