[comp.databases] Need recommendation for relational databases

murphy@excalibur.cs.unc.edu (Ransom Murphy) (10/16/90)

This is the first time posting to this group and I have actually
not had a chance to read too much so forgive me if this has been
recently covered but I need some advice.

I am working on a project to combine serveral large widely used
databases into a centralized database that will be accessable to
a large number of people.  Idealy I would like to have my
database set up on a Unix system.  We use Ultrix, Sun OS, and
BSD Unix, not VMS.  I want to keep the database on the unix system
and have a Macintosh front end with possibly a hypercard interface
or something similar to hypercard.  I need some product
recommendations and some advice from anyone experienced with this
type of thing.

Thanks a lot,
Ransom

Ransom Murphy 			Internet: murphy@cs.unc.edu
Department of Computer Science	PH# 919-962-1708
Chapel Hill, NC  27599

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/17/90)

In article <16827@thorin.cs.unc.edu> murphy@excalibur.cs.unc.edu (Ransom Murphy) writes:

>I am working on a project to combine serveral large widely used
>databases into a centralized database that will be accessable to
>a large number of people.  Idealy I would like to have my
>database set up on a Unix system.  We use Ultrix, Sun OS, and
>BSD Unix, not VMS.  I want to keep the database on the unix system
>and have a Macintosh front end with possibly a hypercard interface
>or something similar to hypercard.  I need some product
>recommendations and some advice from anyone experienced with this
>type of thing.

Well, with Macintosh front ends you have a few choices:

Sybase can be used with either a HyperCard or 4th Dimension front end.
The latter is probably better in terms of optimization.

Oracle can be used with HyperCard, and I believe there's also been
work done with 4th Dimension as a front end.

TechGnosis markets interfaces (SequeLink) which will provide connectivity
between various front ends and various SQL servers.

Apple's DAL (nee CL/1) promises to provide connectivity between any
Macintosh application which includes it and any server which supports
it (I'm not sure what the current list includes).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

markj@informix.com (Mark Jeske(Chicago Consultan)t) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.214306.9900@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In article <16827@thorin.cs.unc.edu> murphy@excalibur.cs.unc.edu (Ransom Murphy) writes:
>>
>>I am working on a project to combine serveral large widely used
>>databases into a centralized database that will be accessable to
>>a large number of people.  Idealy I would like to have my
>>database set up on a Unix system.  We use Ultrix, Sun OS, and
>>BSD Unix, not VMS.  I want to keep the database on the unix system
>>and have a Macintosh front end with possibly a hypercard interface
>>or something similar to hypercard.  I need some product
>>recommendations and some advice from anyone experienced with this
>>type of thing.
>>

>Well, with Macintosh front ends you have a few choices:

You might also want to look into our Wingz spreadsheet that can use
Wingz Datalink to access information in a database on a unix host.
Wingz has a built in hyperscript programming language that is very
powerfull.

Mark Jeske (Informix consulting)
markj@infmx.com