[comp.databases] Help on Ingres "permit" statements

valerie@juliet.caltech.edu (Okinaka, Valerie) (10/22/90)

Hi

I am completely perplexed on setting up "permits" on an Ingres table. I own
the owner of the database, therefore, according to the documentation, I
*ought* to be able to set permissions on any of the tables in this database.

I would like for another account--called REGGIE--to run the following .que
file (which works perfectly from  my own account):

range of e is courses
delete e
copy courses (year=c2,term=c1,dept=c3,number=c3,segment=c1,sect_num=c2,
sect_type=c1,decrip=c25,units=c2,grad_schem=c1,faculty1=c18,faculty2=c18,
org_mtg=c1,time_tba=c1,whenwhere=c35,last_chang=c8,dept1=c3,dept2=c3,dept3=c3,
department1=c25,department2=c25,department3=c25,comment=c0nl) from
"r:[reggie.classes]classes.new"

I have gotten into ingres to set the permission on the courses table. I've
tried doing

range of c is courses
define permit all on c to reggie

When the reggie account attempts to run the .que file, the error of "table is
protected" comes back.

I thought that maybe the database REALLY wants me to be specific, so I have
tried doing:

range of c is courses
define permit all on c (year,term,dept,number,segment,
sect_num,sect_type,decrip,units,grad_schem,faculty1,
faculty2,org_mtg,time_tba,whenwhere,last_chang,dept1,
dept2,dept3,department1,department2,department3,comment) to reggie

This doesn't work, either!

The manual doesn't specify whether or not I must give permissions to any other
table so that this will work. I have checked permissions on  older database
tables -- which DO allow several different accounts to update and delete
records. Their permission statements look the same as what I've already tried.

Any ideas as to where I might be going wrong on this?  The version of Ingres
that I'm running is 5.0/06 (vax.vms/05) -- the current version of the
operating system is 5.3.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Valerie Okinaka
Campus Computing
Calif. Inst. of Technology

valerie@iago.caltech.edu    ! internet
valerie@citiago.bitnet      ! bitnet

eric@wdl47.wdl.fac.com (Eric Kuhnen) (10/24/90)

valerie@juliet.caltech.edu (Okinaka, Valerie) writes:

>Hi

Yo.

>I am completely perplexed on setting up "permits" on an Ingres table. I own
>the owner of the database, therefore, according to the documentation, I
>*ought* to be able to set permissions on any of the tables in this database.

>I would like for another account--called REGGIE--to run the following .que
>file (which works perfectly from  my own account):
[stuff deleted]

Does reggie have access to the database, as granted by accessdb?

>Thanks in advance for any help!
>Valerie Okinaka

"Q"

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (10/24/90)

This is very interesting. It implies that "copy" uses a different
mechanism than "insert" and suggests that only the owner of the table
can perform
this action. If this is the case, then the work around would be to create
a private table with the same structure, copy the data into it, then
do a table to table insert to get it where you want it.

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (10/25/90)

Oops! I got that one wrong. This problem can be resolved by granting all
to public on the table. I'm not sure that's something I'd care to do, though.
Good luck and good hunting!