[comp.databases] U. Ingres on SUN4?

rme@spl26.spl.fac.com (Richard M Emberson Jr) (10/25/90)

Is University Ingres available on Sun4s? What is the effort in
getting it up and running?

Thanks
Richard Emberson

cheung@mathcs.emory.edu (Shun Yan Cheung) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct25.153937.20887@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> rme@spl26.spl.fac.com
(Richard M Emberson Jr) writes:

>Is University Ingres available on Sun4s? What is the effort in
>getting it up and running?

I am also looking for this. Please post or include me in your e-mail
response. Thanks.
--
Shun Yan Cheung     |  cheung@mathcs.emory.edu                  Internet
Emory University    |  {rutgers,ogicse,gatech}!emory!cheung     UUCP

tilman@netcom.UUCP (Tilman Spokert) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.153937.20887@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> rme@spl26.spl.fac.com (Richard M Emberson Jr) writes:

>Is University Ingres available on Sun4s? What is the effort in
>getting it up and running?

I tried it a while back and ran into various problems. One had to do with
memory allocation. Their is a lot of stuff in there which makes assumptions
about alignments, and tries to use as few bytes as possible for structs etc.
Well, Sun4s have some other ideas about alignments (the code does not use
sizeof()!), and I gave up after a while trying to find the error, and just
added 16 to every memory request in the need() routine. Then, you also have
to take care of all the error functions, and convert them to varargs(3).
Also, there is code at various places using bitmasks for file descriptors,
stored in longs. However, NOFILE on a SUN4 (with SunOS4.1) is well above
32... So you either convert all that stuff to fd_set variables, or force
NOFILE to 32. After doing all that, it seemed to work ok. However,
I could not get the lock manager to work (it just freezes the machine). At that
point I said, heck with it, I'm gonna play with it in single-user mode, and
try to get "postgres"...
really work ata
kind of w

--
Tilman Sporkert, apple!netcom!tilman or tilman@netcom.uucp
          - I don't need a Nintendo. I got a SparcStation... -