[comp.databases] Foxbase+ error trapping.

rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) (10/26/90)

I run foxplus programs on a remote machine using uux.
SCO Unix 3.2.2 and SCO foxbase+.

When a file is not present (other errors also) a prompt
is presented "Cancel, Ignore, Suspend."
The program then waits for a response on the remote machine.
I have to login on a modem and kill the process.

I want it to trigger my "on error" procedure which will terminate the job
and report errors to me.  I have "set console off".

How can I program this?
Thanks in advance.

Reynolds McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
uunet!safn2!rey
--

alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) (10/27/90)

In article <697@safn2.UUCP>, rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) writes:
> I run foxplus programs on a remote machine using uux.
> SCO Unix 3.2.2 and SCO foxbase+.
>
> When a file is not present (other errors also) a prompt
> is presented "Cancel, Ignore, Suspend."
> The program then waits for a response on the remote machine.
> I have to login on a modem and kill the process.
>
> I want it to trigger my "on error" procedure which will terminate the job
> and report errors to me.  I have "set console off".

In the "top" program:

ON ERROR DO err_prg WITH ERROR(), MESSAGE(), MESSAGE(1), SYS(16)

When any* error occurs, err_prg will be called with the error number, the
error message, the offending line of source (neat, huh?), and the program
in which the error occured.

* - For some *^*^%*# reason, Fox responds to a SEEK in an area with no database
in use with the INTERACTIVE message "No database in USE. Enter File name:",
instead of generating an error call. This is the only non-trappable error
I have come across. If this occurs, the process will hang. (Are you listening,
Fox and SCO ????)
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >