[comp.databases] DBMS use and evaluation

rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) (10/16/90)

Facts Finding:
-------------

I plan to use DBMS(s) for (at least):

	a. Office Automation - Accounting, Inventory,etc;
	b. Networked Management System - ( High Performance/Real Time);
	c. Information System for Wide Area Network - Policy, Gen. Info, etc.

I am currently evaluating:

	i)  Oracle;
	ii) Sybase;
	iii)Informix;
	iv) Acell/Unify; and
	v)  Ingres

Potential platforms are : PC, W/Station (Apollo,SUN,HP) and CONVEX C220

Any opinions on the approach, product or any other pointers
are appreciated.

Thank you.

Rafee
MIMOS (Malaysian Inst. of Microelectronic Systems)

rafee@rangkom.ism.MY
uunet!mimos!rafee

rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) (10/22/90)

In article <303@rangkom.MY>, rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) writes:

> Facts Finding:
> -------------
>
> I plan to use DBMS(s) for (at least):

Please mail your remarks/comments directly, cuz I recieve
news via tape.  So it gets to me quite late.  For those, who
have already posted to this newsgroup I would appreciate
it, if you could re-mail your respose to me. I need to make
a decision very soon.

I also like to add a requirement with regard to WAN.  By
WAN I meant X.25.

For information, I have also recieved some mails about the subject.
Thanks for the information.

I will summarize the reponses soon.
Sorry for any inconveniences.

Again, thank you.

Rafee
MIMOS
rafee@rangkom.ism.MY
{uunet,mcsun,munnari}!mimos!rafee

rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) (10/29/90)

Dear netland,

	About to weeks ago, I posted a request in evaluating DBMSs.

    The following is a kind of summary of what I have got so far,
with my DBMS evaluation.  I like to thank all those people on
the netland who have responded; it has helped a lot.  Since
I recieve the e-news about 1 month late (it is sent to me
via tape), I have only been able to compile responses that
was sent directly to me (via e-mail).  I would appreciate it
if you sent your responses directly to me or copy to me
directly via e-mail (rafee@rangkom.ism.MY or
uunet!mimos!rafee) in the future.

Here again I looking for more pointers.

Thank you in advance.
Rafee

Executive Summary

The following UNIX-based relational DBMSs are being evaluated.

	a) Ingres Release 6;
	b) Informix ...;
	c) Oracle Version 6
	d) Sybase Version 4.0
	e) ACELL/SQL ....

Here are the preliminary result of a technology review (based
on response from netland, product presentation and documents
supplied by the vendors):

	Ingres:
    -------

		Strengths: Have a good collection of CASE tool

		Drawbacks: Company not doing very well
				   Outdated User Interface
				   Ineffcient technical support

		Note: Got very little info, since no local support
			  Things may change (good or bad) since ASK has
			  taken over Ingres Inc.

	Informix:
    ---------

		Strengths: Cost (Cheapest: 1/8 of Oracle 1/4 of Sybase/Ingress)
				   OA solution (Wingz and Smartware)
				   Market leader of Unix RDBMS

		Drawbacks: Lack of development tools
				   Focused on small desktop system

	Oracle:
    -------

		Strengths: Market leader of RDBMS
				   Has self-developed application systems
				   Enterprise-wide networking (portability on 55 platforms)
				   Good development tools / Application Generators

		Drawbacks: Bad Support (Oversold product)
				   Do not support 4GL
				   Not so good for high-performance application
				   Support is *really* up to a maximum of 100 users

	Sybase;
    -------

		Strengths: High Performance Application
				   Best Client/Server Architecture
				   Good SQL Processor
				   Provide High level sercurity

		Drawbacks: Do not support multiprocessing system
				   Lack of development tools

	ACCELL/SQL:
    -----------

		Strengths: Complement other UNIX RDBMS (Oracle,Informix,Syabse,Integra)
                   Provides good combination of Application Generator and 4GL
                   Support Graphical User Interface (Motif, OPENLOOK, MS Window)

        Drawbacks: Smaller merket share in DBMS engine
                   Not available on non-Unix platform except DOS (ACELL/CP)

  The opinions/evalaution results are tailored to our requirements.
  I still have a long way to go, but since I am short of time, any
  suggestion/opinions are appreciated.  I plan to do, at least:

    a) Conduct a benchmark (dev. tools, user interface & configuration)
    b) Check-out storage strategis (high-performance application)

  At this point of time, I am leaning towards SYBASE + ACELL/SQL for SYBASE.

  There were suggestions that I should look at Progres. I am trying
  to collect more information about the product.

   Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

Rafee
MIMOS (Malaysian Inst. of Microelectronic Systems)

BTW: These are my opinions and do not reflect that of MIMOS.