[comp.databases] PROGRESS HLC question

koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) (10/21/90)

Hi, I got a question concerning PROGRESS (V5.2I) Host language call:

I'm planning to add some network support (send/rcv data via sockets) to
my progres, so that I can have a procedure running as a kind of information
server in the background without having to run progress on the client machines
itself.

My question now:

I'd like to fork() my pogress server procedd for the handling of the request,
but I think I might confuse the RDBMS when there are suddenly two processes
connected. Am I right?

And what happend if I do and exit() inside a HLC function? does the broker
get confused? Any other restrictions on this?

Are there other HLC functions than those described in the HLC REFERENCE MANUAL
which make this possible (forking,exiting etc).

And BTW:

	Does PROGRESS Software have an e-mail address where one can direct
	questions and comments to? Would be very nice, but they ever publish one.

regards,

Mathias
--
Mathias Koerber  | S iemens | Tel: +65 / 7473828-1852       | Fax: +65/7474331
2 Kallang Sector | N ixdorf | USA: uunet!nixbur!koerber.sin | nerv: koerber.sin

fc185120@seas.gwu.edu (Lish Ethan A.) (10/26/90)

In article <1376@nixsin.UUCP>, koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) writes:
> Hi, I got a question concerning PROGRESS (V5.2I) Host language call:
>
> I'm planning to add some network support (send/rcv data via sockets) to
> my progres, so that I can have a procedure running as a kind of information
> server in the background without having to run progress on the client machines
> itself.

Greetings -

		I am confused!  Let's start with the basics: PROGRESS(tm)
currently has two products that interface to 3gls (Host Languages).

The first product Host Language Call (HLC) is used if the user is logically
in the database/PROGRESS(tm) process and the developer choose to "CALL"
a 3gl routine.

The second product Host Language Interface (HLI) { AKA Embedded SQL } is
used if the user is *NOT* logically in a PROGRESS(tm) process.  This allows
the developer to "SELECT" data from a PROGRESS(tm) Database.

In your situtation where you have a PROGRESS(tm) RDBMS Server running on the
Network Server and a User running on a Network Client, You should use HLI
to "REQUEST" the data from the Server.

		I hope this helps!
			Bye,
				Ethan

> And BTW:
>
> Does PROGRESS Software have an e-mail address where one can direct
> questions and comments to? Would be very nice, but they ever publish one.

Not that I know about but THINC has a Email Group for PROGRESS(tm). It is a
mailing list for discussion of all relevant aspects of the PROGRESS(tm) RDBMS.
Users may subscribe by sending mail to uunet!thinc!progress
Coordinator: Ethan A. Lish of THINC (uunet!thinc!ethan)

--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (10/27/90)

->Hi, I got a question concerning PROGRESS (V5.2I) Host language call:
->
[...]

Slow down here.  HLC tends to be a pain to work with.   Remember, you are
wedded to the Progress executable.  You screw up the stack, and the whole show
(including yer database) goes down the tubes.

Have you looked at using the INPUT-OUTPUT THROUGH command?  This lets you set
up a pipe with an external process.   Your progress procedure can read and write
the pipe, as can your C procedure.  However, they are separate processes, which
limits the scope of disaster immensely.

->
->And BTW:
->
->	Does PROGRESS Software have an e-mail address where one can direct
->	questions and comments to? Would be very nice, but they ever publish one.

No.  I have been beating on them about this and expect this to change within a
month.  I will let you know.

->
->regards,
->
->Mathias
->--
->Mathias Koerber  | S iemens | Tel: +65 / 7473828-1852       | Fax: +65/7474331
->2 Kallang Sector | N ixdorf | USA: uunet!nixbur!koerber.sin | nerv: koerber.sin
->S'pore 1344      | I nformationssystems | EUnet: koerber.sin@nixpbe
->* Packed with Power, SNIckers really satisfy  (or do theyAsk them gals :-) )*
->

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (10/30/90)

In <135@mnopltd.UUCP> neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

:->	Does PROGRESS Software have an e-mail address where one can direct
:->	questions and comments to? Would be very nice, but they ever publish one.

:No.  I have been beating on them about this and expect this to change within a
:month.  I will let you know.

Please *Post* if you learn that Progress has a net address.
--
Jim Rosenberg             #include <disclaimer.h>      --cgh!amanue!oglvee!jr
Oglevee Computer Systems                                        /      /