[comp.databases] Progress help needed

lally@bnlux0.bnl.gov (keith lally) (10/30/90)

Help!  After creating a primary index for a file, I now need to change
it to sort ascending.  How can I do this in Progress 5.21?

thanks!

fc185120@seas.gwu.edu (Lish Ethan A.) (10/30/90)

In article <2268@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, lally@bnlux0.bnl.gov (keith lally) writes:

> Help!  After creating a primary index for a file, I now need to change
> it to sort ascending.  How can I do this in PROGRESS(tm) 5.2I?
>
> thanks!

Hello -

This may be accomplished by defining an secondary index with the attribute
of ascending.  Then when you desire that the data be accessed in that manner,
you would include the "USE-INDEX <index-name>" in the "record-phrase".

	I hope this helps,
			Ethan
--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

mikep@progress.COM (Mike Pacholec) (10/31/90)

fc185120@seas.gwu.edu (Lish Ethan A.) writes:

>In article <2268@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, lally@bnlux0.bnl.gov (keith lally) writes:
>>
>> Help!  After creating a primary index for a file, I now need to change
>> it to sort ascending.  How can I do this in PROGRESS(tm) 5.2I?
>>
>> thanks!

>Hello -

>This may be accomplished by defining an secondary index with the attribute
>of ascending.  Then when you desire that the data be accessed in that manner,
>you would include the "USE-INDEX <index-name>" in the "record-phrase".

>	I hope this helps,
>			Ethan

A cleaner solution is simply to delete the incorrect index and create a new
index on the same field.  Because the incorrect index is the primary index
in this case, temporarily select a new primary index before trying the delete.
If the incorrect index is the only index on the file, then create a dummy
index to be the primary, and delete this index before committing your changes.

There is no need to treat the incorrect index as a permanant gaffe.

Mike Pacholec                                   UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!mikep
Progress Software Corp.                     Internet: mikep@progress.com
Bedford, MA

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (11/01/90)

In article <2268@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, lally@bnlux0.bnl.gov (keith lally) writes:

> Help!  After creating a primary index for a file, I now need to change
> it to sort ascending.  How can I do this in Progress 5.21?

My interpretation of what you are having trouble with is that it will not
let you delete the primary index and/or only index.  If this is the case,
create a new index (any index), make it the primary, delete the old
primary and then recreate it the way you want it.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385