[comp.databases] OODB with text+images? Is there?

render@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/29/89)

Written 11:55 pm  Sep 22, 1989 by robert@peg.UUCP:
>Hi, as a newcomer this may have come up before but does anyone know of any
>research/products dealing with OODBs combining text and images (and animation)?

ORION (from the friendly people at MCC) supports storage of large,
multimedia objects.  What it lets you do with them is unknown to me.
(Reference follows.)

hal.

    Won Kim, Nat Ballou, Jay Banerjee, Hong-Tai Chou, Jorge F. Garza and
    Darrell Woelk, "Integrating an Object-Oriented Programming System with
    a Database System", SIGPLAN Notices, 23:11 (Nov 88), pp. 142-152.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (09/30/89)

I haven't got hands on experience with one, but I bet you could build
a pretty good multi-media database on a NeXT.  Consider

- Objective C is a good OO programming language.
- You get a relational server underneath (Sybase)
- You have problems of voice, image, and compatibility between screen,
  printer, and most applications already solved.

Of course, you'd still have to glue all these pieces together, but I
think all the tools are there.

robert@peg.UUCP (10/26/90)

Hi, as a newcomer this may have come up before but does anyone know of any
research/products dealing with OODBs combining text and images (and animation)?

Robert McArthur
Pegasus Networks
The Epicentre, Byron Bay, NSW, Australia 2481

Any mail replies to : arisia!cdp!peg!robert
as our uucp connection is acting up so please conference if you can...thanx

attila@breeze.bellcore.com (11/01/90)

In article <131600001@peg> robert@peg.UUCP writes:

> Hi, as a newcomer this may have come up before but does anyone know of any
> research/products dealing with OODBs combining text and images (and animation)?
>
> Robert McArthur
> Pegasus Networks
> The Epicentre, Byron Bay, NSW, Australia 2481
>
> Any mail replies to : arisia!cdp!peg!robert
> as our uucp connection is acting up so please conference if you can...thanx

Statice
Symbolics, Inc.
Burlington, MA
617/221-1000 (main switchboard number)

Itasca (commercial version of Orion2)
Itasca Systems, Inc.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
612/851-3157

A variety of other product offer partial support for images, text, long
objects, or implement a some part of an object oriented data model.  Try

ObjectStore
Object Design, Inc.
Burlington, MA
617/270-3509
[They are in the next building to Symbolics.  Some of the people worked
on Statice while at Symbolics.]

Look in the Burlington Yellow pages; there are several more oodb
companies in the neighbourhood.

Leslie A. Walko
attila@bellcore.com

Database and Systems Research Group
Bell Communications Research

mark@motown.altair.fr (Mark James) (11/06/90)

In article <131600001@peg>, robert@peg.UUCP writes:

>Hi, as a newcomer this may have come up before but does anyone know of any
>research/products dealing with OODBs combining text and images (and animation)?

Funny you should ask...  At the OOPSLA conference in Ottawa two weeks
ago, there were half a dozen OODB startup companies (including ours)
showing various kinds of multimedia database management systems.  I'm
sure that the others can fend for themselves (some already have), so
here are our coordinates:

OODBMS:   O2
Company:  Altair
          Domaine de Voluceau
          B P 105, Rocquencourt
          78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
          France

Phone:    +33 (1) 39 63 54 17
Fax:      +33 (1) 39 63 58 90
E-mail:   altair@bdblues.altair.fr

Under the O2 system an image, like any other object, may be an
attribute of a tuple.  It may also be declared as an "active bitmap";
that is, clicking the mouse button on a sensitized zone will trigger a
method.

--
Mark James  <mark@bdblues.altair.fr> or <mark@nuri.inria.fr>