[comp.databases] Unify - Lockmanager

kathy@turtle.Berkeley.EDU (Kathy Jago - Sun EHQ) (11/03/90)

Hi,

Can someone suggest a solution to the following problem.  When trying to
run a database
installed on a sun3 under unify, I get the following message:

Errno: 22
Notes: Unable to initialize lock manager

As this runs OK on a different system, the way I've installed Unify is
obviously
the fault.  Any RTFMS etc appreciated ......

truett@cup.portal.com (Truett Lee Smith) (11/04/90)

kathy@turtle.Berkeley.edu asks about a message received on a Sun3 when trying
to start up Unify.  It says something about being unable to initialize the
lock manager.  This usually occurs when trying to run Unify on a machine whose
kernel does not have the appropriate IPC (interprocess communication) code
included.  The kernel needs to be rebuilt with the IPC code included.  Unify
uses IPC to communicate with its lock manager which keeps its data in a shared
memory segment.

   Truett Smith, Sunnyvale, CA
   truett@cup.portal.com  OR  truett@tdd.sj.nec.com

meh@Unify.Com (Mark E. Hansen) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov3.113849@turtle.Berkeley.EDU> kathy@turtle.Berkeley.EDU (Kathy Jago - Sun EHQ) writes:

>Hi,
>
>Can someone suggest a solution to the following problem.  When trying to
>run a database
>installed on a sun3 under unify, I get the following message:
>
>Errno: 22
>Notes: Unable to initialize lock manager
>
>As this runs OK on a different system, the way I've installed Unify is
>obviously
>the fault.  Any RTFMS etc appreciated ......

  This is usually from one of two reasons:
    1) There is not enough space to attach the segment,
    2) There is already a segment for this  SHMID  that doesn't  match the
       Lock Manager version.

  Look to see if there is already a segment ( using ipcs )  with the SHMID
that you are using ( default is 0x1327 ).  If so, remove it and try again.

  If that doesn't help, try increasing the attach address. You can do this
by setting a value for DEFSIZE. This variable MUST be in bytes and MUST be
on one MB boundaries. The default for this is one megabyte. Try increasing
this to two or three megabytes.  Remember to leave NSEGS unset ( or set to
0 ).

  Hope this helps, if not, remember that UNIFY has a no charge information
line that might be able to help you further. There is a 10 minute limit on
the phone calls,  but is a very good source for help when you don't have a
support contract.

--
Mark E. Hansen                                     internet: meh@Unify.Com
Premium Customer Support                    ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!meh

rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) (11/05/90)

In article <35571@cup.portal.com>, truett@cup.portal.com (Truett Lee Smith) writes:
> kathy@turtle.Berkeley.edu asks about a message received on a Sun3 when trying
> to start up Unify.  It says something about being unable to initialize the
> lock manager.  This usually occurs when trying to run Unify on a machine whose
> kernel does not have the appropriate IPC (interprocess communication) code
> included.  The kernel needs to be rebuilt with the IPC code included.  Unify
> uses IPC to communicate with its lock manager which keeps its data in a shared
> memory segment.

Are both semaphores and shared memory necessary, or only shared memory?
My docs are not consistant on this. I have only shared memory enabled, am
I loosing some capability?
--
Reynolds McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
uunet!safn2!rey

jeff@Unify.Com (Jeff Mischkinsky) (11/06/90)

In article <707@safn2.UUCP> rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) writes:
>In article <35571@cup.portal.com>, truett@cup.portal.com (Truett Lee Smith) writes:
>> kathy@turtle.Berkeley.edu asks about a message received on a Sun3 when trying
>> to start up Unify.  It says something about being unable to initialize the
>> lock manager.  This usually occurs when trying to run Unify on a machine whose
>> kernel does not have the appropriate IPC (interprocess communication) code
>> included.  The kernel needs to be rebuilt with the IPC code included.  Unify
>> uses IPC to communicate with its lock manager which keeps its data in a shared
>> memory segment.

Note: there could be other reasons, such as not enough memory or using
the wrong attach address.  See a previous posting on this subject for
more detailed info.

>Are both semaphores and shared memory necessary, or only shared memory?
>My docs are not consistant on this. I have only shared memory enabled, am
>I loosing some capability?

no, we only use shared memory

--
Jeff Mischkinsky		internet: jeff@unify.com
Unify Corporation		          ...!{pyramid,csusac}!unify!jeff

r_anderson@clyppr.enet.dec.com (Rick Anderson) (11/06/90)

In article <707@safn2.UUCP>, rey@safn2.UUCP (rey) writes:
> Are both semaphores and shared memory necessary, or only shared memory?
> My docs are not consistant on this. I have only shared memory enabled, am
> I loosing some capability?
Only "shared memory" is necessary for proper UNIFY operation (no SysV
semaphores
are used).
Rick (ex-Unify)

* Rick Anderson	         * Digital Equipment Corporation *
* 603-884-4284	         * Database Systems Division     *
* Mailstop: NUO 1-1/F12  * 55 Northeastern Boulevard     *
* "My timing is Digital" * Nashua, NH  03062             *
* UUNET: ...{decwrl|decvax}!nova.enet.dec.com!r_anderson *
* Internet: r_anderson%nova.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com      *