[comp.databases] Help wanted - Mac databases

sue@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Sue McPherson) (11/09/90)

I'm looking on advice on appropriate database software for the Macintosh.

I've been asked to develop a database application on a Mac (SE/30 or IIci).
It needs to record details of patients, visits and tests done at those visits.
There are about 500 new patients each year and roughly 600 visits at which there
will be 10 to 30 tests performed (average of 20). There will be 10 years worth
of old data loaded into the database.

I want the screen to look something like this;
| Name....            DOB...                   |
| Address....              Hospital No.        |   <--- patient table
| ..........                                   |
|                                              |
| Visit Date, Time   Biopsy Y/N                |   <--- visit table
| Comment                                      |
|                                              |
| Test1  Result1  Test2 Result2 Test3 Result3  |
| Test4  Result4  .....                        |   <--- test table
| ....                                         |

The main reporting requirement is to 'pull out all patients & visits which
match the conditions'. This is where things start to get difficult as the
conditions can specify ranges on more than one test. (ie. where the patient
did TestA with a result > 5 and Test B with a result < 4) a number of tests may
be specified with a range of results, although 4 different test is probable an
acceptable limit.

The end user is a retiring medical professor who needs a system which is VERY
easy to use (ie. entering a SQL style query is too complex)  so I'll have to be
able to set up a screen where the user enters (up to four) combinations of test,
condition (ie. >,<,=) and result. The user also wants to be able to browse
through the data on the screen - much as they might through a paper filing
system.

I've used Omnis3+ before and I don't think it would be appropriate, for
starters I don't know how I would get more than one test record on the
screen during data entry/editing. This may be possible in Omnis5 but I couldn't
find anything during a quick scan of the documentation. I think the fact that
its really a network model (rather than relational) is an intrinsic
limitation for this type of database.

I spoke with a serious Hypercard user who assured me it could all be done in
Hypercard - but it loked to me as if there would be an awful lot of
'scripting' required and it sounded as though I would have trouble with the
reporting unless I used Version 2 (is it available yet?). I was also
concerned about a vague mention on a size limitation on fields - I think he
said that there was a 32K limit on the total of a field which meant that with
10,000 records the average length of a field (ie. the name) would have to be
less than 3.5 characters. I'm sure I've got it wrong but it is confusing.

I've also considered 4th Dimension but I don't know anyone who has used it,
would it worth getting hold of a manual the check it out?

Someone else suggested Oracle - but its very expensive and I havn't used it
on a Mac.

In summary, I need a reasonably powerful and programmable realtional database
for the Mac, does anyone have any recommendations or warnings?

Thank you.

Sue McPherson
sue@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au

P.S. reply to me and I will summarise to the net.

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (11/10/90)

In article <328@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, sue@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Sue McPherson) writes:
> I'm looking on advice on appropriate database software for the Macintosh.
>
> I want the screen to look something like this;
> +----------------------------------------------+
> | Name....            DOB...                   |
> | Address....              Hospital No.        |   <--- patient table
> | ..........                                   |
> |                                              |
> | Visit Date, Time   Biopsy Y/N                |   <--- visit table
> | Comment                                      |
> |                                              |
> | Test1  Result1  Test2 Result2 Test3 Result3  |
> | Test4  Result4  .....                        |   <--- test table
> | ....                                         |
> +----------------------------------------------+

The situation here is tailor-made for 4th Dimension and can be done withoout
any programming (for this screen) using an "included layout" to show all the
test records.  4th Dimension is the easiest database we've found for designing
screen layouts with this sort of information (3 medical systems to date) and
the only major problem is using it in a multi-user environment.  I think it
would be far better for this system than FoxBASE (based on personal experience)
and Omnis (based on discussions).

> The main reporting requirement is to 'pull out all patients & visits which
> match the conditions'. This is where things start to get difficult as the
> conditions can specify ranges on more than one test. (ie. where the patient
> did TestA with a result > 5 and Test B with a result < 4) a number of tests may
> be specified with a range of results, although 4 different test is probable an
> acceptable limit.
The built-in 4th Dimension enquiry builder is very easy to use and open-ended so
would cope well with this.

> Sue McPherson
> sue@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au

Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz       Western Australia  6066
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.AU (international)

> P.S. reply to me and I will summarise to the net.
(Sorry, I can only talk to the net)