[comp.databases] RBase Reports Generator needed

ron@DRD.Com (Ron Madurski) (11/20/90)

We use Rbase to store daily operations data for the drilling industry.
We are in need of a package that will allow our software (ie., it must
be linkable with the rest of our software, written in C) to output
"pretty" reports.  We need the ability to draw lines, boxes, different
font sizes, shading (w/ and w/out text in shaded areas), compressed
print adjacent to normal print, the ability to do calculations would
be helpful, and a host of other options, most of which are not
absolutely necessary but would be helpful.  One of the most important
aspects of the report generator should be easy manipulation of the
fields contained in the report, this is the current bottleneck in our
method.

I have found two packages that do what we want, to a certain extent.  One
called 4Real allows forms to be created, and easily linked into the
programs.  It does not do any of the fancy page formatting that we would
require.  The other package is called dbPublisher.  It sounds like it
will do what we need, but it is expensive.

Any comments suggestions or pointers to locations with more information
would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

ron@drd.com
--
ron@DRD.Com
uunet!apctrc!drd!ron

callisto@blake.u.washington.edu (Finn) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.210354.1516@DRD.Com> ron@DRD.Com (Ron Madurski) writes:
>We use Rbase to store daily operations data for the drilling industry.
>We are in need of a package that will allow our software (ie., it must
>be linkable with the rest of our software, written in C) to output
>"pretty" reports.  We need the ability to draw lines, boxes, different
 ..(lots of stuff hacked out)
> The other package is called dbPublisher.  It sounds like it
>will do what we need, but it is expensive.

I have done "pretty publishing from inside of rbase (compressed print,
wierd font's and barcodes, all on laserprinter labels).  The trick is
to build all of the printer control codes yourself and dump
them out to the printer.  It is time consuming.  It is a headachae, but
if you cannot find something on the market that does what you need,
it can be done.

RE: your dbPublisher...  "expensive" is a relative term.  If you look
at what it would cost to pay a programmer to write something custom,
almost anything is cheap.  Getting data out of a database and onto a
page in fancy formats and fonts with boxes and so forth is far from simple,
figure on a couple of weeks for a real fast hack if the programmer already
knows your database and printer.

Another possible solution is to dump the data you wish to print out of
the database and pull it into your favorite spreadsheet.  I've had real
good luck using Excel's charts and reports for generating fancy reports.
Excel is designed so that an idiot can use it, so even I can make
changes to reports in a few minutes. (As opposed to hours modifying a
custom report generator)  Once you get the report going manually, you
can probably string together rbase code, batch files, and/or spreadsheet
macros to automate the report publishing process.  My experience is with
Excel, but most of the spreadsheets have similar report generating features.