[comp.databases] X11 support in Progress Version 6 ?

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/18/90)

We have just received Progress Version 6.2C for ISC Unix
(actually for generic System V/386).

One of the first things I tried was to test the presence
of the promised X11 support, even though we don't have
an X server that supports TCP/IP connections (yet).

To my surprise, I get a message  that
"-ws is not supported by this executable".

I get the same answer if I specify any X toolkit option.

Does this mean we will have to buy a Sun to have X support ?

In the mean time, regular Progress will run nicely in an xterm.
If anyone needs a protermcap entry for xterm, just mail me.

I have not yet managed to make a proper protermcap for the
recently posted color xterm. I basically added the color
capabilities from the AT386 (ISC console) entry, as they
both use ANSI color escape code, but this just does not work.

--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/24/90)

I wrote:

>We have just received Progress Version 6.2C for ISC Unix
>(actually for generic System V/386).

>One of the first things I tried was to test the presence
>of the promised X11 support, even though we don't have
>an X server that supports TCP/IP connections (yet).

>To my surprise, I get a message  that
>"-ws is not supported by this executable".

Well, it turned out to be quite simple. You have to use
probuild to create a shell script that will load an
executable with your system's X11 library.

Thanks to Tim Atchison of Progress to get me into the right
direction.

It works remarkebly well, even though we have X11R4
instead of the required X11R3.

I had to use the non-shared library though. When I first
tried to use the shared X library, the linker could not
resolve _event_to_mask.

Apparently, wdsys.o relies on symbols used internally
in the X11 library.