[comp.databases] Oracle v5 -> v6 question

mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) (11/19/90)

We are upgrading from Oracle version 5 to version 6 for SCO Unix.
Oracle tells me that we need to buy SCO's development system
just to do the installation (needs a c compiler and linker)
That seems a like a waste of money for a product that we have no
real use for. Can this really be true?

Has anyone gotten around this? I understand PL-Sql is one of the
applications that that we need and needs to be linked.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mark Citron
mark@neurosci.usc.edu

hsbauer@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Harold S. Bauer) (11/19/90)

In article <28232@usc> mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:

>We are upgrading from Oracle version 5 to version 6 for SCO Unix.
>Oracle tells me that we need to buy SCO's development system
>just to do the installation (needs a c compiler and linker)
>That seems a like a waste of money for a product that we have no
>real use for. Can this really be true?

ORACLE V6 (on all of the UNIX systems I have used) has been delivered as a
set of object and library files that need to be linked together to create
the executables.  It is done this way to allow you to customize ORACLE to
your specific needs (ie whether or not you need TPO, PL/SQL, etc).  This
not only includes the RDBMS engine, but also the applications.  So you do
need SCO's development system.

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (11/20/90)

In article <28232@usc> mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:

>We are upgrading from Oracle version 5 to version 6 for SCO Unix.
>Oracle tells me that we need to buy SCO's development system
>just to do the installation (needs a c compiler and linker)
>That seems a like a waste of money for a product that we have no
>real use for. Can this really be true?

I don't remember how version 5 installed but v6 needs a C compiler during
the installation to 'make' the 'osh'.  We have the entire Oracle development
system but I imagine installing runtimes would not require a compiler.

srm@occrsh.ATT.COM (11/27/90)

>Oracle tells me that we need to buy SCO's development system
>just to do the installation (needs a c compiler and linker)

Oracle distributes to the AT&T 3B2/UNIX V r3.2.1  platform with executables
ready to go.  This executable (bin/oracle) has linked into it the TPO
option (I think).  I'm not sure of the status of the PL-SQL product being
linked or not.  As long as you don't need other products such as SQL*Net,etc,
plug in and go.

>Has anyone gotten around this? I understand PL-Sql is one of the
>applications that that we need and needs to be linked.

I think your out of luck if not already linked in.
--
Steven R. McMaster            UNIX(R) mail:  ...!uunet!att!occrsh!srm
AT&T Network Systems