[comp.databases] Which DB's have BLOBS on VMS besides SYBASE

gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) (11/19/90)

I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
languages they interface with.

And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.

And also, if you've experience with the DB software, how is it in general and
how professional the people behind the product are (or are not)

I thank you

Jeff
)

--

uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8963a
Internet: gt8963a@prism.gatech.edu

matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) (11/19/90)

In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
>on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
>languages they interface with.
>
>And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.

DEC's own Rdb supports blobs (DEC calls them "segmented strings"), as does
Interbase from Interbase Software.  Both have programming interfaces for all
VMS languages (C, FORTRAN, etc.)

As for maturity, both Rdb and Interbase are fairly mature products, having
been around for at least a couple of years.

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: uunet!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. Internet: matt@pic.COM

devine@shodha.enet.dec.com (Bob Devine) (11/20/90)

In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
> I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
> on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
> languages they interface with.
> And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.

Rdb/VMS has had BLOBs for some time now.  The are called "segmented
strings".  A DEC-internal group has been using them for images for
some time now.

Bob Devine

naomi@qip.UUCP (Naomi Walker) (11/21/90)

In article <2011@shodha.enet.dec.com> devine@shodha.enet.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>> I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
>> on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
>> languages they interface with.
>> And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.
>
>Rdb/VMS has had BLOBs for some time now.  The are called "segmented
>strings".  A DEC-internal group has been using them for images for
>some time now.
>
>Bob Devine

Informix started supporting BLOB's with their Online release, earlier
this year. Blobs can be of the text or binary variety. As for support,
I found it difficult to find someone at Informix that had actually used
BLOBs. We are now successfully using text BLOB's for message delivery
without any problems.

Naomi
--
  Naomi Walker  (aka N7FSA)
  Anasazi Inc.  Phoenix, Arizona 602-953-4428

  {uunet!pyramid},{sun!sunburn!gtx!},{asuvax} !anasaz!qip!naomi

bodhi@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Satyabodhi) (11/24/90)

In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
>on the VMS operating system.

Empress, which runs on VMS and on UNIX, supports blobs.  Empress calls
this data type "BULK".  Empress also allows C coded extensions to SQL.
So you can create new SQL operators or functions that operate on your
bulk attributes.  Then you may include these function calls in SQL
statements, anywhere that you may place an attribute expression, that
is, in projections or in "where" clause selection criteria expressions.

I have implemented my own user functions in Empress SQL and they worked
very well.  Once implemented, they are easy and satisfying to use.
But, the developers interface is complex and the C coding and various
table setups are not simple.

>  I'd also be interested as to what programming
>languages they interface with.

C, their $GL "Mbuilder", (maybe COBOL and others).

>And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.

Empress has supported blob (bulk) data for at least 4 years.

>And also, if you've experience with the DB software, how is it in general and
>how professional the people behind the product are (or are not)

My version of Empress (V2.4) was basically solid.  But, it was not
based on client/server architecture and I need that.  Also, it was not
very good for multiple simultaneous users.  There were too many
(logically unnecessary) locking conflicts when the usage was heavy.  I
understand that these problems were addressed in the version released
in the first quarter of 1990.

--
Satyabodhi              |  Domain:  bodhi@idun.ISC-BR.COM

mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz (11/24/90)

In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
> I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
> on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
> languages they interface with.
>
> And also how long (time and releases) the blob feature has been out.
>
> And also, if you've experience with the DB software, how is it in general and
> how professional the people behind the product are (or are not)
>
> I thank you
>
> Jeff
> )
>

> --
>
> uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8963a
> Internet: gt8963a@prism.gatech.edu

	INGRES v6.3 handles this OK

From :   Colin McIntosh,  Project Manager      	 #        .=====. ========
     	 Computertime Ltd,  P.O. Box 6243	 #       /     /     /    /
	 Wellington, New Zealand		 #      /           /    /
Phone:   (04) 852 195				 #     /           /    /
Fax  :   (04) 828 288				 #    /     /     /    /
Internet:    MCINTOSHC@NZFC.CO.NZ  		 #    ======     /     ======

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (11/25/90)

In article <380@iquery.PIC.COM> matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) writes:
>In article <17273@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>>I'm searching for mature DB's that have BLOBS (datatypes that handle images,etc)
>>on the VMS operating system.  I'd also be interested as to what programming
>>languages they interface with.
>
>DEC's own Rdb supports blobs (DEC calls them "segmented strings"), as does
>Interbase from Interbase Software.  Both have programming interfaces for all
>VMS languages (C, FORTRAN, etc.)
>
>As for maturity, both Rdb and Interbase are fairly mature products, having
>been around for at least a couple of years.

Interbase (also known as Starbase from Cognos) has extended the basic
blob type to allow user defined blob types and filters . The filters can
be written in a  3gl. Other basic blob operators include for loops,
blob load and dump (to external files) blob edit and c style getb,putb
calls . The Interbase Gdml language which supports blobs allows you to
incorporate blob handling into Sql programs : blobs are also part of
the transaction control .

Preprocessor support exists for Ada , Basic , C , Cobol , Fortan ,
Pascal and Pl/I .

I would interested to hear about what people use blob type structures
for beyond holding just lots of text .

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

randall@informix.com (Randall Rhea) (11/27/90)

In article <5495@qip.UUCP> naomi@qip.UUCP (Naomi Walker) writes:

>Informix started supporting BLOB's with their Online release, earlier
>this year. Blobs can be of the text or binary variety....

True, but we don't support VMS.

Randall Rhea                                          Informix Software, Inc.
Senior Programmer/Analyst, MIS                    uunet!pyramid!infmx!randall