[comp.databases] ingres database size

bishop@mhinfo.UUCP (Deborah Bishop) (11/27/90)

I have just begun working with ingres and notice that an empty
database (testdb) starts at 787 kilobytes.  The iidbdb with only
testdb and 6 users on the system takes up 1021 kb.  Is there a
way to cause Ingres to allocate less space for a database?
Or, if we will have only one user,  can we make the log file < 4096?
We need disk space.  Any ideas for freeing up space appreciated.

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (11/29/90)

In article <7@mhinfo.UUCP>, bishop@mhinfo.UUCP (Deborah Bishop) writes:
> I have just begun working with ingres and notice that an empty
> database (testdb) starts at 787 kilobytes.  The iidbdb with only
> testdb and 6 users on the system takes up 1021 kb.  Is there a
> way to cause Ingres to allocate less space for a database?
> Or, if we will have only one user,  can we make the log file < 4096?
> We need disk space.  Any ideas for freeing up space appreciated.

  Re the 4MB logfile: if anything, you should make this considerably larger.
  INGRES has not been very up front with people on this issue.  The primary
  problem that is encountered is that a bulk operation, such as a table "copy
  in", requires that the log file be able to hold information about
  the entire copy.  And the amount of space required to store that information
  is substantial: for some tables, we found that the ratio of log file space
  required to space consumed by the input ascii file was sometimes as high as
  10:1 .  And if you do not have enough space, then at best your transaction
  will be aborted and at worst your server process will hang.

  Notes that came with our 6.3 release yesterday:

    "The minimum accepted size for the Transaction Log File has been increased
     from 4 mbytes to 8 mbytes."

  One way to save some space is to look through your distribution (after instal-
  ling it) and deleting parts of it.  E.g., at least up to now, the installation
  will put on all modules whether or not you have a license for them: the "key"
  that you must enter controls which can be executed.  So we trash Vigraph-re-
  lated material, for instance.  Some of the demo-related files also consume
  considerable space.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org