[comp.databases] Large databases

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (09/15/88)

Hi folks, this was in comp.unix.{wizards,questions} and belongs
on comp.databases.  Please don't reply to me...

In article <8194@alice.UUCP>, andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) writes:
<
< does anyone know of, or can recommend, any UNIX database packages
< than can handle large databases? for the purpose of this question,
< consider large to mean 10^7 tuples. the keys average 40-60 bytes,
< the data averages about 30 bytes. i need real fast lookup by key,
< reasonably fast update and plausibly fast traversal of all keys.
< i have been using weinbergers compressed B-trees but my b-tree is
< now 4 levels deep (thus breaking the rule that all b-trees are 3 deep)
< and i have to rebuild the database too often (12 CPU hrs on a 750).
<
< PLEASE mail replies to me directly, i will post a summary to the net
< if requested.
<
< 	andrew hume
< 	andrew@research.att.com
< 	research!andrew

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Tom_R_Stilz@cup.portal.com (09/27/88)

UNIFY/ACCELL would do the job nicely since it currently does support databases
in the area you are talking about. If you will be developing and running under
Unix platform, it is probably the best product for the job.

It has access methods built it to support hashing (on keys); B-trees; Links;
and Sequential.

Let me know the platform and we can talk further.

Tom

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (10/04/88)

In article <9479@cup.portal.com> Tom_R_Stilz@cup.portal.com writes:
>UNIFY/ACCELL would do the job nicely since it currently does support databases
>in the area you are talking about. If you will be developing and running under
>Unix platform, it is probably the best product for the job.
>Let me know the platform and we can talk further.
>Tom

Beware of advertisers!

Could this be the SAME Tom R. Stilz who is employed by Unify Corp. ??
(Just wondering.)

We have used Unify here for serveral years and
I have a few stories to tell about why Unify may not be the product to
use in a large database.

Send me e-mail for details.

By the way *I am not associated with Unify Corp, except as a customer*.

--
Kevin Brighton                  UUCP: {geac,utzoo,utgpu}!syntron!jtsv16!kevin
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.         or:  suncan!jtsv16!kevin

tscott@naitc.naitc.com (Tony Scott) (12/11/90)

I am looking for any information on large (>10GB) real-world databases on
Unix, using Oracle/Ingres/Informix/Sybase...

Thanks in advance.

Tony Scott