[comp.databases] Reference for Data Modelling

B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) (12/11/90)

I have been looking at data models for the ISO STEP/PDES data exchange
standards. Conventional structural models are produced using NIAM
(Nijssen Information Analysis Method) and IDEF1X. Activity models are
produced using IDEF0. Does anyone know of any references relating to the
IDEF modelling methods? Is anyone actually using them ?

Regards

Brian

--
Brian J. King        | Voice: +44 91 222 6000 ext 8558  Fax: +44 91 261 1182
Engineering Design Centre   | JANET: B.J.King@uk.ac.ncl

cdm@gem-hy.Berkeley.EDU (Dale Cook) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.104850.2791@newcastle.ac.uk>,
B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) writes:
|> I have been looking at data models for the ISO STEP/PDES data exchange
|> standards. Conventional structural models are produced using NIAM
|> (Nijssen Information Analysis Method) and IDEF1X. Activity models are
|> produced using IDEF0. Does anyone know of any references relating to the
|> IDEF modelling methods? Is anyone actually using them ?
|>
|> Regards
|>
|> Brian

I believe that the D. Appleton Co. uses them, and teaches workshops in
their use, and sells support products and services geared towards that
approach.  Our company brought them in to teach a Modeling Techniques
workshop.  I don't personally care for the approach because I learned
using a different one, but the course was good.

You can contact them at:

D Appleton Co. (DACOM)
225 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 300
Manhatten Beach, CA 90266
(213) 374-3939
========== long legal disclaimer follows, press n to skip ===========
^L
Neither the United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory or any of their employees, makes any warranty, whatsoever,
implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility regarding any
information, disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe
privately owned rights.  No specific reference constitutes or implies
endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the
United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory,
and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) (12/12/90)

cdm@gem-hy.Berkeley.EDU (Dale Cook) writes:

>In article <1990Dec11.104850.2791@newcastle.ac.uk>,
>B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) writes:
>|> I have been looking at data models for the ISO STEP/PDES data exchange
>|> standards. Conventional structural models are produced using NIAM
>|> (Nijssen Information Analysis Method) and IDEF1X. Activity models are
>|> produced using IDEF0. Does anyone know of any references relating to the
>|> IDEF modelling methods? Is anyone actually using them ?
>|>
>|> Regards
>|>
>|> Brian
>|>

>I believe that the D. Appleton Co. uses them, and teaches workshops in
>their use, and sells support products and services geared towards that

The company I have contacted about IDEF/SADT is SofTech Inc, in Cambridge
MA, USA -- They produce a range of tools and provide consultancy, support
etc.

I'm not sure of the contact's name, but he was *very* helpful when I
posted to the net last year to ask for help -- I think he was called
Mark Moore and he reads News so may be listening!!

Eoin.
~    Eoin Woods, Software Development Group, Bull HN Information Systems,   ~
~                Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7DZ                ~
~                   Tel :   +44 442 232222 x4823                            ~
~                   Fax :   +44 442 234084                                  ~
~                   < Eoin.Woods@hemel.bull.co.uk >                         ~
~          < When do we start news group comp.os.emacs ?  :-) >             ~

shoher@frodo.sw.mcc.com (Zach Shoher) (12/15/90)

Try:
	Meta Software
	Cambridge MA
			phone: 617-576-6920 (last time  I called)