[comp.databases] need help with ORACLE V6.0.27.7

srm@occrsh.ATT.COM (12/09/90)

On  Dec  2, 1990, kbittner@oracle.uucp writes:

>Create a rollback segment in the system tablespace (I usually do PUBLIC ones,
>but that's somewhat a matter of preference).  Shut down the DB to.....
>Kurt Bittner
>Consultant - Oracle Chicago
>kbittner@oracle.com

I prefer private rollback segments to public.  I have been told that
public rollback segments are only needed if mulitple instances are
being employed.  Is this true??

If multiple instances are in the picture, private rollback segments will
most likely be easier to do away with if one is making temporary
rollback segments especially.
--
Steven R. McMaster            UNIX(R) mail:  ...!uunet!att!occrsh!srm
AT&T Network Systems

anderson@well.sf.ca.us (David E. Anderson) (12/16/90)

In article <143900009@occrsh.ATT.COM> srm@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:

>I prefer private rollback segments to public.  I have been told that
>public rollback segments are only needed if mulitple instances are
>being employed.  Is this true??
>
>If multiple instances are in the picture, private rollback segments will
>most likely be easier to do away with if one is making temporary
>rollback segments especially.
>--
>Steven R. McMaster            UNIX(R) mail:  ...!uunet!att!occrsh!srm
This is correct.  "public" does not mean "available to all users", it means
"available to all instances".  At this time only single-instance Oracle is
available for V6.  Multi-instance is only relevant to sites which run Vax
clusters and want to access the same database with a set of server/background
processes running on several cluster nodes.

David E. Anderson, Redwood City, CA    (415) 592-1101
Independent Database Consultant (formerly with Oracle kernel Support Group)
anderson@well.sf.ca.us
First learn your horn and all the theory.
Next develop a style. Then forget all that
and just play.          Charlie Parker [?]