[comp.databases] Book on SQL + Dialects

hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) (12/07/90)

I'm sure this is a frequently asked question but....

My wife is looking for a good SQL reference/text book.  Ideally it should
cover some of the various dialects and their quirks.

Anyone know of somthing like this????

Cheers,

Harry

mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) (12/09/90)

Take a look at the following:

The Practical SQL Handbook
   Emerson/Darnovsky/Bowman, Addison-Wesley, 1989, 0-201-51738-8

A Guide to the SQL Standard
   Date, Addison-Wesley, 1987

-- dtm

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (12/19/90)

hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) writes:

>I'm sure this is a frequently asked question but....

>My wife is looking for a good SQL reference/text book.  Ideally it should
>cover some of the various dialects and their quirks.

>Anyone know of somthing like this????

Have a look at "Using SQL" by James R. Groff and Paul N. Weinberg.
Osborne McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-881524-X

IMHO, this is an excellent book for learning SQL.
It also covers various dialects like Oracle, DB2, Ingres, Informix and
Sybase, so your wife might find this as good a book as I did.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>