[comp.databases] Oracle to have text/memo data types, or blob soon???

lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) (12/30/90)

I have settled on Oracle as a development platform, and am curious if
they will soon, within the next 2 years, come out with a data type of
memo/text that could contain a variable number of lines/characters, and
if there will ever be a blob: binary large object.

I currently am hopefully awaiting these new enhancements to Oracle.

by the way, I don't care about what Ingres, Informix, Sybase, or any others
are doing.  I'm a loyal Oracle fan.

your input is welcome.

lou.

lpendley@netcom.UUCP

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (12/31/90)

In article <19615@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>I have settled on Oracle as a development platform, and am curious if
>they will soon, within the next 2 years, come out with a data type of
>memo/text that could contain a variable number of lines/characters, and
>if there will ever be a blob: binary large object.
>I currently am hopefully awaiting these new enhancements to Oracle.
>by the way, I don't care about what Ingres, Informix, Sybase, or any others
>are doing.  I'm a loyal Oracle fan.

** NOT a flame (honest) **

You must be loyal if you want the function but are willing to wait up
to two years for a feature that many commercial systems have been supporting
in various degrees ! You may not care directly about Interbase,Rdb,Ingres
et al but as a result these vendors you may see improvements in the
Oracle tools to help them compete in various sales cycles .

Oh yes .. I am a loyal Maple Leafs fan

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

bob@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Bob F. Breedlove) (12/31/90)

checked out oracle, Ingres and Informix.  Chose Informix because of the
BLOB impelementations (we were responsible for them getting these early).
But to answer you question, YES, Oracle plans to support BLOBs.  At the
current time, they do support a SINGLE BLOB-type field/record.
--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
Author: CONFIG.EXE, RUN.EXE, CleanUp.EXE
        bob@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

ddruker@.com (Daniel Druker) (12/31/90)

In article <19615@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>I have settled on Oracle as a development platform, and am curious if
>they will soon, within the next 2 years, come out with a data type of
>memo/text that could contain a variable number of lines/characters, and
>if there will ever be a blob: binary large object.

Oracle Version 6, the current production version, allows for one column
of length 64k per table. This variable length column can be defined as
holding character or binary data as type LONG or LONG RAW, respectively.

SQL*Forms Version 3, now available on many platforms, has a built in pop
up field editor that can be based on an Oracle LONG column.
The editor includes cut/paste and search capability, and can probably
give you the memo functionality you need. If you haven't yet seen SQL*Forms
version 3, I'd encourage you to take a look. It's a big step up from the
previous versions.

As for Oracle's plan for Blob support, I would encourage you to contact
your local Oracle users group or sales or support rep for an Oracle Version 7
statement of direction. This document will give you a better idea of the
comprehensive set of features that will be implemented in Version 7, and there
are MANY of them that you will certainly find interesting.
As the product is not yet officially announced, however, I am not allowed to
make statements on availablilty. I can tell you that Oracle Version 7 was
demonstrated at the International Users conference in September, in front
of several thousand Oracle users.

>I currently am hopefully awaiting these new enhancements to Oracle.
>
>by the way, I don't care about what Ingres, Informix, Sybase, or any others
>are doing.  I'm a loyal Oracle fan.

Good for you. So am I.

>your input is welcome.
>
>lou.
>
>lpendley@netcom.UUCP

- Dan

Daniel Druker
Senior Sales Consultant
Oracle Corporation
San Francisco, California

DISCLAIMER: My opinions and statements are mine and mine alone; They do not
reflect policy or position of my employer.

tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) (01/01/91)

>In article <19615@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>>I have settled on Oracle as a development platform, and am curious if
>>they will soon, within the next 2 years, come out with a data type of
>>memo/text that could contain a variable number of lines/characters, and
>>if there will ever be a blob: binary large object.
>

>You must be loyal if you want the function but are willing to wait up
>to two years for a feature that many commercial systems have been supporting
>in various degrees !
>

>--
>Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707

I've been watching this and I guess I don't understand what the difference
between blobs and Oracle's raw long type. SQL*Forms doesn't support (except
on Sun's) long types. Is there some functionality in the kernal to support
a memo/text data type that needs to be added. We're using Oracle to implement
a publishing database and we're doing okay.

As a trival thought, will SQL*Forms under Motif or (X11) allow use of longs
as pict's or bitmaps?

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                        | Intergraph Corporation
UUCP:     ...uunet!ingr!tensmekl	| One Madison Industrial Park

hthoene@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Hermann Thoene) (01/04/91)

In article <19615@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
} I have settled on Oracle as a development platform, and am curious if
} they will soon, within the next 2 years, come out with a data type of
} memo/text that could contain a variable number of lines/characters, and

In the actual version there ist a CHAR LONG which can hold up to 64 KBytes
of Char data and LONG for up to 64 KBytes of binary data.

} if there will ever be a blob: binary large object.

In Version 7, coming end of this year, there will be blobs definitely !

} are doing.  I'm a loyal Oracle fan.

So am I. Good luck with Oracle

Hermann Thoene,  Muenchen,    Bavaria <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
hthoene@doiter.doit.sub.org