[comp.databases] Will Oracle be compatible with MS/Windows 3.0 soon??

lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) (12/30/90)

First of all, I am a loyal Oracle fan, I don't wish to be caught up in the
feud over who is better.  Let's respect our differing opinions, be there any.

Currently Oracle on MS-DOS, 5.1x, is incompatible with Microsoft Windows 3.0.
If you have heard any talk, and not foilware, nor vaporware talk, please let us here know about it.  I believe the only database product compatible with it is  Gupta, and it only runs on the MS-DOS, OS/2 platforms.  I want it to be
connectible to more platforms than those.

Please pass any gossip you may have heard.  I know that they were having
problems with running their database engine in protected mode, while having
windows running in protected mode.

Muchas gracias.

lou.
lpendley@netcom.UUCP

hthoene@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Hermann Thoene) (01/04/91)

}
} Please pass any gossip you may have heard.  I know that they were having
} problems with running their database engine in protected mode, while having
} windows running in protected mode.

Probably summer this year comes version 6 of Oracle on MS-DOS. This version
will also run with Windows 3.0. In the first version, SQL*Forms 3.0 will
only run in terminal-emulation (char-oriented), but later versions will
support all windows-features as know already available on X-Windows.

Servus from Germany

Hermann Thoene,    Muenchen,    Bavaria <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                                  hthoene@doiter.doit.sub.org

flopez@oracle.uucp (Frank Lopez) (01/04/91)

In article <19616@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>First of all, I am a loyal Oracle fan, I don't wish to be caught up in the
>feud over who is better.  Let's respect our differing opinions, be there any.
>
>Currently Oracle on MS-DOS, 5.1x, is incompatible with Microsoft Windows 3.0.
>If you have heard any talk, and not foilware, nor vaporware talk, please let us here know about it.  I believe the only database product compatible with it is  Gupta, and it only runs on the MS-DOS, OS/2 platforms.  I want it to be
>connectible to more platforms than those.
>
>Please pass any gossip you may have heard.  I know that they were having
>problems with running their database engine in protected mode, while having
>windows running in protected mode.
>
>Muchas gracias.
>
>lou.
>lpendley@netcom.UUCP

ORACLE Tools for MS-DOS V5.1x can be run as character-mode applications under
Windows V3.0.  The protected-mode versions of the tools can be run in Windows
standard-mode and the real-mode versions of the tools can be run in Windows
enhanced-mode, both again ONLY as character-mode applications.  You need
SQLPME V2.1.38 or later to run ORACLE's protected-mode products in
Windows standard-mode.

ORACLE Tools for MS-DOS V5.1C has bundled with it SQLPME V2.2.7.
SQLPME V2.2.7 is also available on the "ORACLE for MS-DOS V5.1C INSTALL
2.0.1.8 Update Kit". You will also need the Windows V3.0A patch to get some
enhancements that the original Windows 3.0 lacked, in addition you should
keep your eyes open for Windows V3.0A++ because there are still more
enhancements that have to be made to Microsoft's DPMI implementation before
it is complete.

Pro*C for MS-DOS V1.2 includes a Windows DLL that allows you to build
Pro*C Windows applications with the Windows SDK that can access either a
local or remote database.

You can access a local database by first starting the local ORACLE kernel and
then starting Windows in standard-mode. This works because SQLPME first
allocates the memory it needs from "himem.sys" and then when Windows starts
up it will gobble up all of the memory that hasn't yet been allocated from
"himem.sys" by SQLPME.

Frank.

| Frank Lopez | Desktop Products Division | Redwood Shores | California  |