[comp.databases] From .EXE to a .BIN-file through EXE2BIN

daan@cwi.nl (Daan Otten) (01/07/91)

Hello,

I have a probably little problem. To speed up parts of my
Dbase IV v1.1 application I want to replace these parts by faster
equivalents written in C and compiled with MicroSoft C v4.0.
To load these parts by the Dbase's LOAD-command, the executables of
the C-programs have to be transformed in .bin-files. However, EXE2BIN
complains that it cannot do it.

My problem is that I know the requirements to make a .bin-file (about
000H starting address, the pointers and segments) but I cannot
translate these to the proper changes in my C-programs or
MSC-compiler options (e.g. using the /A option).

Has someone experiences with making .bin-files from C-programs
compiles with the MSC-compiler?
Thanks in advance.

Daan Otten
email: daan@cwi.nl

keithm@ashtate (Keith Mund) (01/08/91)

In article <2756@charon.cwi.nl> daan@cwi.nl (Daan Otten) writes:

> [...] To speed up parts of my
>Dbase IV v1.1 application I want to replace these parts by faster
>equivalents written in C and compiled with MicroSoft C v4.0.
>To load these parts by the Dbase's LOAD-command, the executables of
>the C-programs have to be transformed in .bin-files. However, EXE2BIN
>complains that it cannot do it.

>Daan Otten
>email: daan@cwi.nl

     "dBASE Power: building and using programming tools"
     P.L. Olympia, R. Russell Freeland, and Randy Wallin
     ISBN: 1-55519-021-9

     Order from Ashton-Tate at: 1-800-437-4329

This book describes how to use C to create .BIN files for use with
dBASE. Basically, the C startup code is replaced by something that
allows .BIN conversion and understands the parameter passing conventions
of dBASE.

Some people are creating the files using Turbo C and no changes to
startup code. I have not done this personally, but may be able to
find some more on that (you specified MSC 4.0 though).

There are some restrictions, expecially with use of library routines.

Most every .BIN file that you could want has already been developed.
The book referenced has a number of them.
Mention has been made here of Tom Rettig's library being placed in
public domain. The Ashton-Tate Forum on Compuserve (GO dBASE) and
the Ashton-Tate BBS (free phone network [true] and free online time)
have numerous .BIN files and other suggestions.

My email address is: keithm@ashtate.a-t.com

Keith Mund

--
Keith Mund