[comp.databases] OODB?

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (01/08/91)

Let's see, I know what OO is, and I know what DB is, and I can even
imagine what OODB is.  But, I really don't know what OODB refers to.

Can some one post an example of OODB code.  Are there any useful
references on line somewhere?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

andy@coma.cs.tu-berlin.de (Andreas Lampen) (01/08/91)

In article <ERICCO.91Jan7163648@sdaf1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>Let's see, I know what OO is, and I know what DB is, and I can even
>imagine what OODB is.  But, I really don't know what OODB refers to.

OODB (or OODBMS) stand for "Object Oriented Database Management System",
that's for sure. But I suspect there is no common understanding of what
an Object Oriented Database Management System is.

There is a whole scale of Databases referred to as OODBs. On the lower
side of the scale are Databases that are suitable as data repository for
object oriented applications but do *not* feature an object oriented data
model. On the upper side are Databases with fully object oriented data
modeling and data manipulation.

The problem on the lower side of the scale is, where to draw the line ?
I often have the impression that there are a number of databases around
that are referred to as "object oriented" just because the designers
succeeded in writing an object oriented application using it. An object
oriented alibi application does not make a database really object oriented.

I personally think, that a OODB must have an object oriented data
modeling and manipulation language. The perhaps best known example for
a *real* OODB is GemStone (by Servio Logic Corporation, Beaverton,OR).
GemStone's database language is "OPAL", an object oriented language
developed after the Smalltalk philosophy. OPAL is a general programming
language also used for data definition and data manipulation. Other
examples for OODBs are Orion (MCC, Austin,TX), Iris (Hewlett Packard),
and O2 (GIP Altair, France).

Andy
--
Andy Lampen, Tech. Univ. Berlin -- andy@coma.cs.tu-berlin.de