[comp.databases] Clipper, dBase, Libraries, Rettig's Clipper library

gunnar@imf.unit.no (Gunnar Taraldsen) (01/11/91)

Is it possible to get Clipper and/or dBase source file libraries
via the nett?

I read in article 5284 (2272mdb@abcom.ATT.COM, 3 Jan 91) in
comp.databases that Rettig's Clipper library is now public
domain. The problem is that I can't reach bulletin boards
like Compuserve or Genie. Can anyone help me with an FTP
adress?

I'm a student so I can't afford to by one of the many libraries
that do exist like ARTFUL.LIB ("Dynamics of Clipper", ISBN 1-55623-131-8),
NETLIB (Neil Weicher), <noname.lib> ("Programming in Clipper",
ISBN 0-201-14583-9) etc..

There should also be some general interest conserning these questions.
Please reply to comp.databases or gunnar@imf.unit.no.
Help would be much velcomed.

Gunnar Taraldsen
NTH, Norway

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.203021.24833@ugle.unit.no> gunnar@imf.unit.no (Gunnar Taraldsen) writes:

>Is it possible to get Clipper and/or dBase source file libraries
>via the nett?
>
>I read in article 5284 (2272mdb@abcom.ATT.COM, 3 Jan 91) in
>comp.databases that Rettig's Clipper library is now public
>domain. The problem is that I can't reach bulletin boards
>like Compuserve or Genie. Can anyone help me with an FTP
>adress?
>
>I'm a student so I can't afford to by one of the many libraries
>that do exist like ARTFUL.LIB ("Dynamics of Clipper", ISBN 1-55623-131-8),
>NETLIB (Neil Weicher), <noname.lib> ("Programming in Clipper",
>ISBN 0-201-14583-9) etc..

Gunnar, Some Clipper files are available from Simtel and I imagine also
from a system operated by Timo Salmi in Finland.  I've never accessed
Salmi's system so you'd have to get specific instructions in news.newuser
or something similar.

As far as Rettig's library I don't think it contains much of use and that
is most of the reason that it is in the PD these days.  An interesting
alternative to commercial libraries is one being developed by the members
of NANFORUM on Compuserve.  A collection of contributed functions is being
cleaned up and will eventually be offered for free.  It is written for
Clipper 5.0 though so if you are using S'87 you may have to retro some of
the stuff.

tom  tleylan@pegasus.com
(ex-Senior Systems Analyst - Nantucket Corporation)