[comp.databases] Database and SQL

gls@trac2000.ueci.com (Gary Smith) (01/15/91)

I am going to develop a program and I am going to need some type of database
engine to drive it.  It will be made on DOS running windows.  I had thought of
using Informix/SQL (ESQL/C).  I would like to stick to a SQL language, but I
am open to suggestions.

What I would like to know, what is the general opinion of this group to which
server is the best to use?

Thanks!

Gary Smith
--
Gary L. Smith @ UE&C-Catalytic   |||  Reply at:
                                 |||      UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!gls
Spock - ST IV: "What does it     |||  INTERNET:  gls@trac2000.ueci.com
 mean 'Exact change only' ?"     |||

dafuller@sequent.UUCP (David Fuller) (01/15/91)

In article <956@trac2000.ueci.com> gls@trac2000.ueci.com (Gary Smith) writes:

>I am going to develop a program and I am going to need some type of database
>engine to drive it.  It will be made on DOS running windows.  I had thought of
>using Informix/SQL (ESQL/C).  I would like to stick to a SQL language, but I
>am open to suggestions.

Have you decided on the transactions the front end will require?

If this is going to work single user on a single machine with no care about
the coherency of a networked DBMS then there are a wealth of neat DBMS
to play with.  If you need to exist in a network communicating with many
others for whom DBMS coherency, accessability, and updateability is
paramount then...

What's this thing supposed to look like?

--
Dave Fuller
Sequent Computer Systems		  Think of this as the hyper-signature.