[comp.databases] Converting Clipper to C

salom@secyt.gov.ar (Eduardo J. Salom) (01/18/91)

I'm looking for a prgram to convert Clipper programs to C, I need to
port several programs from MS-DOS to *ix. It seems to me the faster
way. Does anyone have any reference to any PD, Shareware or commercial
software able to do the task?

Any reference, company name, FAX#, mailbox, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eduardo.

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (01/22/91)

In article <505@secyt.gov.ar> salom@secyt.gov.ar (Eduardo J. Salom) writes:

>I'm looking for a prgram to convert Clipper programs to C, I need to
>port several programs from MS-DOS to *ix. It seems to me the faster
>way. Does anyone have any reference to any PD, Shareware or commercial
>software able to do the task?

Some DOS-based products relating to this would be the dBx translator,
as well as the Code Base 4, Lattice DBC, and Apex database C libraries.
However, these rely on I/O libraries that are very DOS specific, and
may not support all of the commands that Clipper Su87 supports.  (I
assume you are not using 5.0.... :-( )  All of the above products can
be found in the various "Programmer's _________" mail order catalogs.

A better solution may be to use a UNIX port of dBASE or a dBASE-like
product.  Ashton-Tate, and other vendors, are working on versions for
various flavors of UNIX.  However, the details of this is not my
area, and I do not want to sound like a commercial.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108