[comp.databases] Comparing 4th Dimension and Paradox

lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/23/91)

hello everyone.

I have been using 4th Dimension by ACIUS for more than 3 years. (ie. I
am familiar with it !)
Right now, I am going to do a new project using Paradox (?)......
Don't ask me why !!! my prof. want it in Paradox.

Is there a lot of difference between those two packages?
What are the advantages/disadvantages between those two?
Is Paradox easy to "learn" ?

thanks in advance
bye

byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) (01/24/91)

From article <28098.279cafec@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> hello everyone.
>
> I have been using 4th Dimension by ACIUS for more than 3 years. (ie. I
> am familiar with it !)
> Right now, I am going to do a new project using Paradox (?)......
> Don't ask me why !!! my prof. want it in Paradox.
>
> Is there a lot of difference between those two packages?
> What are the advantages/disadvantages between those two?
> Is Paradox easy to "learn" ?

Yes, there are some big differences between the two.  Obviously, the biggest
difference is 4th Dimension is a Macintosh database and Paradox is an IBM PC
database.  I don't know a lot about 4th Dimension but Paradox really is easy
to use yet a powerful sophisticated database, hence the name.  Paradox is very
easy to learn given it's well developed menu system, spreadsheet like table
displays, Query By Example technique, and strong documentation.  It has a good
programming environment but you want to be very familiar with regular
interactive Paradox before trying any programming.  Paradox can also now link
to SQL server databases as a front end.  I have heard that 4th Dimension has
no plans of supporting the SQL standard.  It has it's own unique language
that they are trying to extend for client server configuration.

--
Bill Yock, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (01/24/91)

In article <4102@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) writes:
>Paradox can also now link
>to SQL server databases as a front end.  I have heard that 4th Dimension has
>no plans of supporting the SQL standard.  It has it's own unique language
>that they are trying to extend for client server configuration.

Just to clear up a misconception:

4th Dimension can be used as a front end to various SQL databases, just as
Paradox can.  The most general linking medium is DAL, through which 4D
can effect queries on any SQL databases running on machines which support
the DAL connectivity language (currently VAXen, soon others).  In
addition, there are several other connectivity packages, such as
SequeLink, and specific connectivity packages for Oracle and Sybase (the
former available now, the latter very soon).

In several months, ACIUS will market what works, practically speaking, as
a 4D client-server package (i.e., the throughput will be effectively
similar, though the technology will be a little different).  Perhaps it is
this product which Bill Yock is referring to.  However, this product will
NOT replace the SQL connectivity packages available nor or soon.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |