[comp.databases] Unify upgrade

richard@ghp.UUCP (Richard Chan) (01/23/91)

I'm considering porting a Unify application from a midsize UNIX box
( Motorola's 8000 ), to a 386 micro running Xenix.  I have 2 major concerns,
both dealing with portablility.
	1) How portable is Unify between the two different platforms
	2) We have the Unify RDMS rel 3.2, how much of a problem will it be
	   to upgrade to the current rel 5.0 ??

I've called UNIFY Corp. and they're already sending me an upgrade manual,
which SHOULD describe whats involved.  However, its always nice to hear what
the net has to say :-)

Regarding porting from one platform to the next, they claim a simple recompile
should do the trick ... assuming the port is from 5.0 on both platforms.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

						Richard Chan

p.s.  Am I the ONLY one still with rel 3.2 ??  I think this dates back to 1985.

--

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Richard Chan, Gellman.Hayward & Partners Ltd                                |

meh@ufycorp.Unify.Com (Mark Hansen) (01/25/91)

In article <750@ghp.UUCP> richard@ghp.UUCP (Richard Chan) writes:
>I'm considering porting a Unify application from a midsize UNIX box
>( Motorola's 8000 ), to a 386 micro running Xenix.  I have 2 major concerns,
>both dealing with portablility.
>	1) How portable is Unify between the two different platforms
>	2) We have the Unify RDMS rel 3.2, how much of a problem will it be
>	   to upgrade to the current rel 5.0 ??
>
>I've called UNIFY Corp. and they're already sending me an upgrade manual,
>which SHOULD describe whats involved.  However, its always nice to hear what
>the net has to say :-)
>
>Regarding porting from one platform to the next, they claim a simple recompile
>should do the trick ... assuming the port is from 5.0 on both platforms.

  There are a few issues here. The best place for information is the
4.0 ( and 5.0 ) publication package. There are a few basic changes from
the 3.2 to 4.0 releases, eg:
  -- There were some changes to the way uqsrch() and entsitm() worked in that
     you now have to null terminate strings ( I believe ).
  -- The hashing algorithym changed requiring a REKEY ( both unify.db
     and file.db ).
  -- The passwords are now encrypted. We provided a program called ECRYPTDB
     ( spelling? ) to encrypt them.
  -- There were additional columns added to the data dictionary ( unify.db )
     which required a dump and load of the unify.db. This was perhaps the
     most difficult part.

  There may be other changes, This is from memory. You should consult the
publication package for full details.

  The change from 4.0 to 5.0 wasn't near as difficult. It required
rebuilding the B-Trees and perhaps running a 'date conversion' program
called datecnv. Please refer to the 4.0 -> 5.0 conversion guide. This
should come with the 5.0 release.

  One other consideration are the database files: file.db and unify.db.
The machine to machine database conversion guide outlines the usage of the
'swabdb' utility to convert the unify.db file once you have moved it to the
new machine. This utility doesn't handle data types like FLOAT, LDATE,
TEXT, or BINARY ( FLOAT is the only one that you would need to worry about
coming from 3.2; Note also that Huge amount is basically a FLOAT ).

  It is recommended that the data from the file.db is dummped to ascii
files and reloaded after a new file.db is created on the target machine.

>Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
>						Richard Chan
>
>p.s.  Am I the ONLY one still with rel 3.2 ??  I think this dates back to 1985.

  No, but there are many enhancements and fixes to the current release of
UNIFY. I would always encourage our clients to stay on the most current
release of UNIFY, if possible. This makes it easier for us to help them,
should they run into a problem.

  Hope this is of help. Please try to understand that the conversion from
3.2 UNIFY to 4.0 was a long time ago, and so may be difficult for us to
remember. If you have support with Unify, I encourage you to contact an
engineer for help. If not, perhape the Unify Information Line can help
you. This is a free telephone service that we provide to answer your
quick questions regardless of your current support status.  Please remeber
that, in order to make this service avaliable to all who need it, the
phone conversation is limited to 10 minutes.

  That phone number is (916) 923-4777 and is operated between the
hours of 6:00 am and 5:00 pm PST.

Good Luck.

Mark.

>| Richard Chan, Gellman.Hayward & Partners Ltd                                |
>| 33 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5E 1G4        Voice: (416)862-0430 |
>| UUCP:richard%ghp@mnetor.uucp                                                |

Mark E. Hansen                                     internet: meh@Unify.Com
Manager, Client Support Services            ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!meh
Unify Corporation                                    voice: (916) 922-1177
3870 Rosin Court, Sacramento, CA 95834                 fax: (916) 920-5306