[comp.databases] Clipper and Compaq DOS

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (01/25/91)

I've got a Clipper v5.0 application running on a Compaq 386 with DOS (Compaq)
v4.0.  I get this error:

  ERROR DBF/1001 Open Error: allparts.dbf (DOS ERROR 5)
  Called from __dbuse(0)

Any known anomalies with Compaq DOS with file handles, etc?  My CONFIG.SYS had
FILES=40 and the dos environment var CLIPPER=F45.  The same exact program ran
on a good ol' PS/2 m70 running IBM DOS 4.00 with same files, etc.
What gives?

Thanks.

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (01/26/91)

In article <20279@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>I've got a Clipper v5.0 application running on a Compaq 386 with DOS (Compaq)
>v4.0.  I get this error:
>
>  ERROR DBF/1001 Open Error: allparts.dbf (DOS ERROR 5)
>  Called from __dbuse(0)
>
>Any known anomalies with Compaq DOS with file handles, etc?  My CONFIG.SYS had
>FILES=40 and the dos environment var CLIPPER=F45.  The same exact program ran
>on a good ol' PS/2 m70 running IBM DOS 4.00 with same files, etc.

James,

I don't have the perfect answer for you but I have had a similar report (the
same DOS error) when accessing a file on an optical drive.  In this particular
example it worked fine on the hard disk just not the optical drive on the
same machine.

I'm about to post that error in a message to Nantucket and I'll include yours
also.  I'll tell you honestly I've used 5.0 longer than a lot of people and
I haven't hit that error yet.  There are definitely problems with the VMM
system which have been addressed in the fix disk currently in beta test.

Hang in there... and post me private mail if you isolate the problem or
just want somebody to complain to... (can you get it to fail with a few
lines of code) ?

tom leylan
ex-Senior Systems Analyst, Nantucket Corporation

patterson@x102a.harris-atd.com (patterson stuart 00476) (01/30/91)

James,

  Check to see if you are running SHARE.  With newer versions of DOS if
  SHARE.EXE and COMMAND.COM are in the same directory SHARE will auto
  invoked w/ command.com.  Just a guess!  To see if SHARE is running
  try and run it again, if its running it will tell you so..
  Good luck, hope this helps.

  Stuart