[comp.databases] Another Clipper EXE question!

mcintyre@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (01/30/91)

Can someone explain to me why the heck the following program (which prints
out an ascii table) is 159K when compiled with Clipper S87?
--------------
col = 0
row = 2
clear
@ 01,00 say '1234567890123456789012345678901234567890'
for num = 1 to 256
    @ row,col say chr(num)
    col = col + 1
    if col = 40
 	col = 0
	row = row+2
    endif
next
-------------

I guess the linker is including all of Clipper's library, huh?  Does a
better linker fix this?

				-Dave

--
Dave "mr question" McIntyre         |    "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu          |     of shrimp.....and someone says to

timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (01/31/91)

In article <H*!&|=_@rpi.edu> mcintyre@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:
>Can someone explain to me why the heck the following program (which prints
>out an ascii table) is 159K when compiled with Clipper S87?

[...program deleted...]

>I guess the linker is including all of Clipper's library, huh?

yep.

>Does a better linker fix this?

I've used Borland's linker ( version 1.0 or 1.1 I think), and the final
code is still big. At least it gets done faster though.

>Dave "mr question" McIntyre         |    "....say you're thinking about a plate
>mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu          |     of shrimp.....and someone says to
>office : 518-276-8633               |     you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"

   Tim Kuehn			    TDK Consulting Services  (519)-888-0766
   timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca  -or-  !{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!wynnds!timk
   Valpo EE turned loose on unsuspecting world! News at 11!

ericp@beach.csulb.edu (Eric Pederson CSE) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.200312.1787@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca> timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) writes:
>In article <H*!&|=_@rpi.edu> mcintyre@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:
>>Can someone explain to me why the heck the following program (which prints
>>out an ascii table) is 159K when compiled with Clipper S87?
>
>[...program deleted...]
>
>>I guess the linker is including all of Clipper's library, huh?
>
>yep.
>
>>Does a better linker fix this?
>
>I've used Borland's linker ( version 1.0 or 1.1 I think), and the final
>code is still big. At least it gets done faster though.

No matter what linker you use, your Clipper S87 EXE size will be big.
The entire CLIPPER.LIB has to go into the file.  I recommend BLINKER
for development use since it is a fast incremental linker (I compile and
link ~600K applications in 22 seconds if one source file was modified).
It also does dynamic overlaying pretty decently.

The new .RTlink Plus 4.1 has a lot of bells and whistles but is very
hard to use with Clipper S87.  I eventually want to convert to Clipper
5.0 but I (like the rest of the world) am waiting for it to settle down
as far as bugs are concerned.

Eric Pederson - CSULB
ericp@beach.csulb.edu