[comp.databases] Help with CLIPPER printouts on network.

oddinge@uit.no (01/16/91)

HELP !!

Using a CLIPPER program made for networking on a network the following problem hCC3~C
has come up:

Any printouts to the network spool queue (LPT1) is sendt to the queue, but
not printed before the program is terminated, or I press CTRL-ALT-PRINTSCREEN.
Network type is Apricot VX-NET - I think this network is compatible with
standard MS-NET.

Same problem exists with single user software like TurboPascal, SuperCalc,
dBase etc.

Strange problem, I think, since CLIPPER is supposed to work well with
networks.  Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

                                                   -Thanks-

  O-I Larsen                                                           NORWAY

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (01/19/91)

oddinge@uit.no writes:

>Same problem exists with single user software like TurboPascal, SuperCalc,
>dBase etc.

This would tend to give you the clue that it is not your CLIPPER software
causing the problem.

>Strange problem, I think, since CLIPPER is supposed to work well with
>networks.  Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

Try reading your Network manuals, specifically on print spooling.

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / Sex is hereditary. If your
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  parents never had it, chances

esa@tolsun.oulu.fi (Esa Hanninen) (01/26/91)

   I would not say it is a problem, it is a feature. Novell, as well as
   other PC network programs, cannot tell when print job is complete if
   nobody tells it. So either user must tell or program must tell it.
   User does it by pressing CTRL-ALT-PRINTSCREEN, program tells it by
   closing the printer. (I'm not sure, but I think it's SET PRINTER TO
   in clipper).

   I don't like using timeout in print spooler, it might cut your print
   job in pieces if producing output takes long time.

.

oddinge@uit.no (01/31/91)

> Esa Hanninen writes:
> Try closing the printer with the SET PRINTER TO command.

This I have tried.  It should be the correct way of closing the printer.
It does however not work.

>Kari Heikkila writes:
>Try setting the timout for the print spooler to about 10 >seconds.

This would work.  The problem is that the network I am working on does not seem to have such a feature.  Anyway this solution is not realy a good one.

>Michael P. Deignan writes:
>Try reading your Network manual, Specifically on print spooling.

Ok, I have done that.  The problem is mentioned there, but no solution
suggested.

I think Esa Hanninen has pinpointed the problem.  I have to somhow close the
printer so that the spooler can know that I am finished printing.  "SET PRINTER
TO" is supposed to do this, but it does not.  This is clearly indicated if I
try to delete the print file manualy with the MSDOS "DEL" command.  In reply
MSDOS reports a SHARING VIOLATION ERROR.

Anybody have other suggestiones to a way around this problem?

  Odd-Inge Larsen              UNIVERSITY of TROMSOE                   NORWAY